List of frequently asked questions when filing KRA returns
By Fay Ngina
| June 22nd 2020
With only a
week left to the deadline of filing the KRA returns, most Kenyans are rushing
to do so to avoid getting fined.
of queuing to file returns was resolved after KRA introduced iTax, a platform where
taxpayers can update their tax registration details or file returns.
There are few
questions that arise when people use iTax to file their returns. From
forgetting password to correcting an error after filing, here are frequently asked
questions when filing returns and their answers.
In case I forget my password, what can I do?
Go to the iTax log in page and select forgotten password.
You will be asked for the security question you used when registering for the
first time. Once you submit the information successfully, new login credentials
will be sent to your registered email address. Here is a summary of the steps
to retrieving your password;
• Open your browser and log in to KRA itax portal:
• Once on the website, type your KRA pin and click continue
• Proceed downward and click where it is written: “forgot
• Proceed to answer the security question and then click
• A password will be sent to your email, therefore, open
another tab and proceed to log in to your email.
• Copy the password sent and go back to the KRA website and
• Enter your PIN and the password sent to your email and
• Once in the website fill in the places with a red
asterisk. The old password remains the one sent to your email and proceed to
set your new password. Chose the security question and set the answer.
• Agree to KRA website policy and disclaimer by clicking the
small box and click submit. Your password is set.
Can I correct an error once I file a return?
Yes. You can do this by filing an amended return.
How can I change my password if I have forgotten my
The taxpayer is required to send this PIN to KRA for
password and security question reset through:
How do I file Nil
To file Nil returns, follow these steps;
· Open your browser and Log in to www.itak.kra.go.ke
· On the left hand side enter your user ID, KRA pin, and
· Type in your password and answer the security question in
order to access your profile.
· After accessing your profile click on the returns menu,
and select File Nil Returns sub-menu.
· Under Tax Obligation, select VAT/PAYE from the drop down
· Enter the return period and click submit.
· Download acknowledgement receipt and you are done.
What do I do if I am trying to upload my return, but the
system tells me I have to file returns for previous months/year?
In the case of first time filling, you need to call KRA for
the change of roll-out date. In the case that you had filled the first return
on iTax and failed to file subsequent returns i.e., for one or three months,
you need to file the missing returns in iTax before you can file the current
What do I do if I am trying to file VAT/PAYE return on
iTax, but the system tells me I am not registered for that return?
You need to update your tax obligation information in your
iTax account to enable you to file.
How can I change the current email address from the one I
registered within iTax?
The taxpayer can initiate a change of email address. On the taxpayers' profile under registration, the taxpayer is allowed to amend PIN details. Once the taxpayer begins the process, a task is created for approval by a KRA officer.
Nakuru leaders call on Jubilee party to discipline MP Kimani NgunjiriThe party’s county chairman David Manyara, and some branch officials called on Jubilee to discipline the MP over his criticism of the party leaders.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once againThe BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...
Karen Hospital founder Dr James Mageria dies of cancer
- Why Dr James Gakara's postmortem failed to proceed
- Jubilee nominates Isaac Ngugi to replace Prengei, Governor Kinyajui protests
- Masinde Muliro University’s top administration, including VC, announced
By Brian Okoth
- Home alone: Kenyans don’t understand why man’s angry after wives leave him
By Brian Okoth
- Nakuru family in agony as KWS detective goes missing