× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Let Luhya unity be in place to help the tribe have a share in national cake

UREPORT
By Nelson Mandela | July 3rd 2016

I wish to congratulate the house of Mulembe for such tremendous and historic decision. Their quest for reviving Luhya unity is good sign, for a tribe known to be divided politically. Given the tyranny of numbers that the tribe enjoys, it will be possible for them to clinch the top sit.

However, there are issues, if unattended, all will be in vain.

First, Luhya community for a long time has been fanning for Luo leaders. For instance, in the last two consecutive general elections they voted for Mr. Odinga. This accounts for almost 70% of all votes. The remaining 30% will not be enough. Again, the democratic nature of Luhya tribe, will vote for other leaders in the remaining 30%. As such, a lot of energy should be vested in ensuring that they convince the tribe to turn away from Luo leaders which again is difficult.

In addition the two largest sub-tribes, the Bukusu and Maragoli are fighting for supremacy. Each sub-tribe wants to be at the top. Unless the raging antagonism and war between the two is dealt with, the anticipated unity is doomed to fail. As such which among the two will pave way for the other?

Furthermore, Luhya tribe doesn’t have a political party with a national face. UDF according to some critics belongs to another region. The ailing and infamous FORD Kenya is on the brinks of collapse. What we are seeing is the sprouting of small parties after a breakaway by some leaders. As such, there is the need to form a political party that will have a national face.

Finally, as I rest my case, some of the leaders said to form the unity have been there before. Surprisingly, their character is already known. Unless other leaders are opted instead of them, it won’t be easy.

Let Luhya unity be in place to help the tribe have a share in national cake.

Share this story
Ole Sapit's chequered journey to the ACK Archbishop's office
The third born son to the seventh wife in a polygamous family, Sapit was sent away from home after the death of his father by his elder brothers when he was only five.
Restoring Nairobi’s iconic libraries
Book Bunk is turning public libraries into what they call ‘Palaces for The People' while introducing technology in every aspect.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

;
Feedback