Mandera, Kenya: At least 14 people were killed and 11 others injured after Al-Shabaab gunmen attacked a village near Mandera town.
The incident happened in Soko Mbuzi village where non-locals and mostly quarry workers live.
Mandera County Commissioner Alex Ole Nkoyo confirmed the attack, which he said happened at 1am Tuesday, as victims were sleeping.
There were fears the death toll would increase as those rescued had multiple injuries. The incident came months after almost 70 people, mostly non-locals and non-Muslims, were killed in similar attacks.
Nkoyo said the attackers are believed to be Al-Shabaab militants and used grenades and guns to attack the victims.
“All indications are that they were Al-Shabaab militants. They destroyed metal grilled doors before they bombed the houses and opened fire on the innocent victims,” he said.
According to witness accounts, the attackers planted grenades on the entrances of the tents of the victims.
They then hurled petrol bombs on the tents before opening fire, which triggered the grenades to explode.
Many of those injured were later evacuated and taken to the local hospital.
Nkoyo said no arrest had been made and they are investigating the incident.
At least 36 quarry workers were killed in December last year. This was after Al-Shabaab militants raided the quarry and killed the workers in a macabre manner as they slept.
Days later, another gang hijacked a bus and killed 28 people among them teachers and doctors in a separate attack that sparked protests and led to boycotts by most civil servants.