Kenya's potato brokers from Meru Central and Buuri sub-counties flouting new packaging law
By Phares Mutembei | August 7th 2015
Potato farmers from Meru Central and Buuri sub-counties have decried the high number of brokers flouting the law on packaging. Farmers claimed a section of traders were still packing their potatoes in bags exceeding the stipulated 50kg bags, yet no action had been taken.
Governor Peter Munya (pictured) has now asked the Ministry of Agriculture to enforce the guidelines to ensure farmers are not swindled by the brokers.
“We do not want the brokers to put pressure on farmers to pack their potatoes in 100kg bags. Enforcement bodies must visit market centres to ensure this,” Mr Munya said.
From 295 KCPE marks to an A in KCSE
- BBI Bill sails through in Senate
- Why Kenya suspended flights to and from Somalia
- How lost phone from a dying patient led kin to hospital, cemetery
- Bensouda: ‘Big man’ Ruto gave witnesses kickbacks
- KCSE: Kamusinga, Lugulu and Bunyore lead the pack in Western Kenya