× Sports Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours Premier League Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

F1 driver Alonso undergoes surgery for fractured jaw after road accident

SPORTS By Reuters | February 13th 2021
McLaren's Spanish driver Fernando Alonso gestures during a press conference at the Circuit de Catalunya on May 11, 2017 in Montmelo on the outskirts of Barcelona ahead of the Spanish Formula One Grand Prix. [AFP PHOTO / LLUIS GENE]

Spanish Formula One driver Fernando Alonso underwent an operation for a fractured jaw and will remain under observation for the next two days following a road accident while cycling in Switzerland, his Alpine team said on Friday.

The 39-year-old double world champion, who was involved in the accident on Thursday, is due to make his Formula One comeback this season after two years out of the sport.

“Following his cycling accident yesterday Fernando Alonso was kept under observation in hospital in Switzerland,” a team statement said.

“Medics discovered a fracture in his upper jaw and conducted a successful corrective operation. The attending medical team are satisfied with his progress.

“Fernando will remain under observation in hospital for a further 48 hours.”

May 17, 2019; Indianapolis, IN, USA; IndyCar Series driver Fernando Alonso sits in his car in the pits during practice for the 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. [Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports/File Photo]

Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper reported on Thursday that the Spaniard, a keen cycling fan, had been hit by a car while training on his bike near his home in Lugano.

Alpine, formerly known as Renault and renamed after the French manufacturer’s sportscar brand, said they expected Alonso “to be fully operational to undertake preparation for the season”.

The Formula One championship is due to begin in Bahrain on March 28, with pre-season testing in the Gulf kingdom from March 12-14.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website
Take a survey

Alonso, who took his titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006 and has won 32 grands prix, last raced in Formula One with McLaren in 2018.

Share this story
Hockey star Oburu raring to swing his way to golf glory
Seth Oburu, who is arguably the greatest hockey midfielder in perhaps Strathmore University’s modern history meets...
COVID-19 outbreak at Lukaku's Inter Milan
Inter Milan's Serie A match at home to Sassuolo on Saturday is to be postponed and their players will be pulled out of international duty after...
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback