Ex- CS Rashid Echesa hospitalised amid health concerns

Former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa. [George Njunge, Standard]

Former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa was on Saturday, March 30, admitted to a city hospital following a deterioration in his health.

Echesa had been detained at Muthaiga Police Station in Nairobi on Thursday for an ongoing investigation into alleged abduction claims.

 “He was brought here in the morning when his condition deteriorated at around 9:30 am. The doctors have attended to him. He is now looking better, but we are not doctors. Once the doctors say, we will confirm,” his lawyer Danstan Omari said.

According to Omari, Echesa had undergone surgery at the same hospital a week before his arrest and was due for a review on the day he was arrested.

However, the police refused his request for a review and detained him, leading to complications with his wound.

“Echesa told the police that he was supposed to come back for the review, but the police refused and locked him in. As a result, the wound has become septic,” Omari explained.

Echesa was arrested over allegations of extortion targeting Kakamega Governor Fernandes Barasa.

He is expected to appear in court on Tuesday after the police denied his bond request.

Omari further alleged that Echesa is in police custody for alleged extortion, cybercrime bullying, and stage-managing an abduction.

Echesa, who also serves as the current Chairman of the Kenya Water Towers Agency (KWTA), was taken to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) on Kiambu road where he was questioned for several hours before being detained.

The officers have claimed that Echesa has been evading arrest and avoiding questioning over the accusations and potential prosecution.

Unique Sports
Why Kenya will have a lean team in Paris Olympics
Missed Olympic dream highlights urgent need for revamping Kenyan women's rugby
Why there's muted celebration for Gor Mahia's league title
SCHOOLS: Rising stars fly high as Nyanza Region finals draw near