Newly appointed Sports, Youth Affairs and Arts Cabinet Secretary Ababu Namwamba has begun talks with World football governing body FIFA to restore normalcy in Kenyan football after taking over on Friday.
Taking to his official Facebook account, Namwamba said he spoke with FIFA officials on Friday- adding that the phone conversation was the start of the process of resolving the impasse that led to Kenya’s ban by the global governing body.
“On my day one in office today, I engaged FIFA on the phone to commence the process of resolving the impasse that has seen Kenya banned by the world football governing body. Government is committed to returning Kenyan football to normalcy in sync with the rule of law and public good,” posted Namwamba.
Kenya has been under Fifa suspension since February after outgoing CS Amina Mohamed disbanded the Football Kenya Federation in November last year.
Because of the ban, no Kenyan team, including club sides, can compete internationally.
Following the ban, Kenya has missed three continental events for national teams among them the men's 2023 Africa Cup of Nations with club sides also omitted from the CAF Confederation and Champions League games.
All domestic club leagues, that were due to start late August, have also yet to kick off after teams vowed to boycott competitions until FIFA sanctions the league.
“We want to solves the current standoff between FKF and FIFA as soon as possible. I have been well briefed by outgoing CS Amina and we want to look at the proposals put forward herein to solve this matter taking into account President Ruto’s call to fidelity to rule of law,” said Namwamba on Friday.