Uruguay sack manager Tabarez after 15 years in charge
FOOTBALL By Reuters | November 20th 2021
Uruguay have sacked manager Oscar Tabarez after 15 years in the job following a string of disappointing results in World Cup qualifying, the country's FA (AUF) said on Friday.
Uruguay's 3-0 defeat by Bolivia on Tuesday was their fourth straight loss and left them seventh in South American qualifying for the Qatar 2022 finals, one point behind Colombia who currently occupy the final automatic qualification spot.
"We emphatically express that this decision does not ignore the important contribution of Tabarez to Uruguayan soccer," the AUF said in a statement on its website .
"We salute and acknowledge the fundamental sporting achievements obtained in these 15 years, which once again placed Uruguay at the top of world football.
"The AUF Executive Committee has made this difficult decision under present circumstances, committed to the near future and obtaining the results we all hope for."
Tabarez, 74, took over as manager of the national team for a second spell in 2006 and led Uruguay to the 2010 World Cup semi-finals and the Copa America title a year later.
He was previously at the helm between 1988 and 1990.
Uruguay visit Paraguay in their next qualifier on Jan. 27.
How a sex predator lured me, sports legend speaks out