Tottenham appoint Antonio Conte as new manager
FOOTBALL By Robert Abong'o | November 2nd 2021
English club Tottenham Hotspur have announced the appointment of Antonio Conte as new boss.
The Italian has signed an 18-month deal at the London Club, following the dismissal of Nuno Espirito Santo on Monday.
The 52-year-old Italian had been targeted by Tottenham before the appointment of the Portuguese in the summer, but talks failed to materialise.
However, following talks with the Tottenham hierarchy in London yesterday, the former Premier League winner has agreed to take over the manager’s role at the club, and has the option to extend his contract.
?? We are delighted to announce the appointment of Antonio Conte as our Head Coach on a contract until the summer of 2023, with an option to extend. — Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) November 2, 2021
Conte has won three Scudettos with Juventus, the Premier League with Chelsea, and also led Italy to the Euro 2016 quarter finals.
“I am extremely happy to return to coaching and to do so at a Premier League club that has the ambition to be a protagonist again. Tottenham Hotspur has state-of-the-art facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world,” said Conte.
“I can't wait to start working to convey to the team and the fans the passion, mentality and determination that have always distinguished me, as a player and as a coach,” he added.
Conte saw his stint at Inter end prematurely after he terminated his contract, days after leading the Nerazzurri to their first-ever Serie A title in 11 years last season.
Italian media reported Conte’s shocking decision was due to his unhappiness at the club’s plans to cut costs due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Conte spoke Spurs about why he did not agree on joining them last summer:
“Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching. But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark. Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction,” said Conte.
Tottenham’s Managing Director of Football Fabio Paratici expressed delight in welcoming the Italian, having worked with him before at Juventus.
“We are delighted to welcome Antonio to the Club. His track record speaks for itself, with vast experience and trophies in both Italy and England. I know first-hand the qualities Antonio can bring to us, having worked with him at Juventus, and look forward to seeing his work with our talented group of players,” said Paratici.
AFCON set for knockout stage