×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Truth Without Fear
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download Now

Portugal to lift coronavirus state of emergency from May 3

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Portugal's forward Cristiano Ronaldo gestures during the Euro 2020 qualifying group B football match between Portugal and Serbia at the Luz stadium in Lisbon on March 25, 2019. (Photo / AFP)

Portugal's lockdown, which shut most non-essential services last month to contain the spread of the coronavirus, will be lifted gradually from May 3, President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa said on Tuesday.

"What matters in this new phase is that the Portuguese know that containment remains important so we must take small steps and constantly evaluate," he told a news conference.

Premium Article

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.

Fact-first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
Continue Reading  →
What you get
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimised reading
  • Weekly newsletters & digests
Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payments Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902
Rugby
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Football
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Sports
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Athletics
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene