Bukhungu stadium getting ready for CECAFA

[PHOTO: COURTESY]

Bukhungu Stadium in Kakamega is being spruced up ahead of this year’s Cecafa senior challenge tournament slated for December 3 -17.

According to the stadium manager Titus Otiende, workers at the facility are working 24 hours to ensure the stadium is ready within the next two weeks.

“We have completed major work on the stadium. We are currently putting final touches to several areas to comply with the requirements set by Cecafa and FKF,” said Otiende.

A spot check showed that already 2,000 seats have been fitted, self-contained VVIP lounge, VIP lounge, boardrooms, dressing rooms and referee rooms have been completed awaiting fitting of chairs.

“Everything is set for this tournament. We have space for media being finalized as well. The cafeteria is also ready,” he said.

[PHOTO: COURTESY]

The field is also being worked on with new goal posts being erected to meet the international standards.

Mr Otiende also revealed that several committees, including one for security and accommodation, have been formed.

He exuded confidence that security will be beefed up to deal with any threat to security of the players and fans.

“This is the first highly ranked tournament to be held in this county and we are committed to deliver it. We have catered for everybody including people living with disabilities. The back-up power system is also being fitted,” Otiende said.

[PHOTO: COURTESY]

“The Governor is on our neck to ensure the stadium is ready within the set timelines. We have to work throughout the day to achieve it.”

Bukhungu Stadium which is one of the oldest stadiums in the region is being upgraded to international standards at a cost of Sh1 billion.

The first phase which is almost complete cost Sh399 million with the second phase expected to commence immediately after Cecafa tournament.

Once completed, the stadium will have a 30,000 sitting capacity and will have automated gates to enhance revenue collection for the county government.

“We already have designs for the second phase, which we expect to be completed in two years. The second phase will start early next year. The stadium will be complete with all facilities required to meet Fifa standards,” said Governor Wycliffe Oparanya.

“The stadium once completed will also host indoor sporting events including basketball, athletics, among other games. Currently the stadium is used for football and athletics only.”

Last month, Football Kenya Federation president Nick Mwendwa after inspecting the stadium said his office will work with the county government to ensure the playing turf, security requirements, sound system and stadium big screens among other amenities conform to CAF standards.

“Completion of the facility will make Bukhungu a major bidder for hosting either the men’s’ Under-20 or Women African Cup of Nations football competitions to be held in 2019 and 2020 respectively,” said Mr Mwendwa.

Apart from Bukhungu, Mumias Complex and Moi Kisumu stadium will also host some games during the tournament.

Football
How playing home, away from home, cost Harambee Stars
Athletics
Kenya lines up stars for Africa Championships in Cameroon
Tennis
Kenyans' crisp serves keep them afloat at African tourney
Unique Sports
SCHOOLS: Eyes on Maseno School, Kisumu Day and Nyakach Girls as Kisumu County games kick off