Athletes, musicians help raise Sh72.9 million to fight coronavirus
Athletes and musicians took part in an online global music festival organized by the Spanish league that raised more than 625,000 euros (Sh72.9 million) for the fight against the coronavirus on Saturday.
Barcelona’s Gerard Piqué, Real Madrid’s Sergio Ramos and tennis star Rafael Nadal were among those who participated in the charity event organised to raise funds for the purchase of medical supplies and to support fans confined to their homes.
Celebrities in the festival also included singers Aitana, Alejandro Sanz, Beret and Luis Fonsi, actress Danna Paola, music bands Morat and Taburete, and Chinese pianist Lang Lang.
"It's a very difficult situation, and for the league to be able to do something like this, it makes players, clubs and fans very proud,” Barcelona captain Piqué said.
“It’s nice to see that when people need us, we can unite. I'm proud to be part of something like this,” Pique added.
The athletes and celebrities participated from their homes in the four-hour event shown live to 180 countries through the league's international broadcasters and streamed via YouTube and Facebook.
Players from all 20 first-division clubs participated, along with other Spanish athletes such as swimmer Mireia Belmonte and badminton player Carolina Marín.
Among the footballers were Ivan Rakitic of Barcelona, Jesús Navas of Sevilla and Chinese forward Wu Lei, one of the members of the Espanyol squad who tested positive for coronavirus.
"We'll succeed in convincing people about the importance of staying at home," league president Javier Tebas said.
- Dortmund's Sancho, Akanji fined for getting haircuts without face masksFootball 13 hours ago
- Wanyama joins protests against police brutality in Kenya and US Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Solskjaer talks up Man Utd mentality ahead of Spurs matchFootball 13 hours ago
- NBA legend Jordan donating sh10 billion to social justice groupsBasketball 10 hours ago
- Southampton forward Djenepo aiming to be better than Sadio ManePremier League 2 days ago
- Coronavirus restrictions have a knee on the neck of the sportGolf 1 day ago
- Man City set for lengthy UEFA ban appeal - leading to Premier League confusionPremier League 2 days ago