Kobe Bryant in final NBA Hall of Fame list
Five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, the Los Angeles Lakers legend killed last month in a helicopter crash, was among eight finalists named Friday for 2020 induction to the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Bryant, an 18-time NBA All-Star in his first year of eligibility, is considered a certainty to join the ranks of the sport's immortals by being enshrined at the honor shrine in Massachusetts.
The announcement of Hall of Fame inductees will be April 4 in Atlanta at the US college "Final Four" with 18 of 24 votes from the Honors Committee needed to join the select list.
Enshrinement will take place at ceremonies in Springfield from August 28 to 30. Other first-time finalists include 15-time NBA All-Star and three-time NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Tim Duncan, 15-time NBA All-Star and nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection Kevin Garnett and 10-time Women's NBA All-Star and four-time Olympic champion Tamika Catchings.
Prior finalists with another chance include US college coaches Kim Mulkey, Barbara Stevens, Eddie Sutton and two-time NBA champion coach Rudy Tomjanovich.
Bryant's tragic death at age 41, along with his daughter Gianna and seven others, has had an impact on the Hall of Fame selections. "We knew this class had the potential of being one of the most historic of all time," said Hall of Fame chairman Jerry Colangelo.
"The untimely passing of Kobe has left us in a state of reflective mourning and we're proud to honour his legacy while also recognising seven other individuals."
- Former star OF Edmonds hospitalized with coronavirus symptomsFootball 2 days ago
- Juventus players, coach Sarri agree pay cut due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- Reports: Delayed Tokyo Olympics likely to open in July 2021Football 2 days ago
- Cancel the league if it can’t be finished by June - Harry KaneFootball 2 days ago
- Only 479 days to go: Tokyo resets the clock on OlympicsFootball 2 days ago
- Mourinho to take Spurs training via video amid coronavirus lockdownFootball 1 day ago
- Messi announces additional Barca pay cut to help employeesFootball 1 day ago