Tiger Woods in search of history at Genesis Invitational
There is perhaps no more symbolic place for Tiger Woods to make history than at Riviera Country Club, site of this week’s Genesis Invitational.
Woods, who remains in search of a record 83rd victory, will attempt to break Sam Snead’s wins record at the place where it all began. He made his PGA Tour debut at this event in 1992 as a 16-year-old amateur.
“To come here in 1992 and play, but to come here with my dad and my old pro, Rudy, who took me up here,” Woods said.
“I remember watching Lanny Wadkins play well here and win, seeing Corey Pavin and Davis and Freddie go after it. There’s a lot of history for me to come up here and play. This was the second professional event I ever went to besides San Diego.”
Woods’ ties to the Genesis Invitational run deep. He grew up in nearby Orange County, and his TGR Foundation is the host organization and primary beneficiary for the week.
The nearby TGR Learning Lab was founded in Anaheim in 2006 and impacts thousands of children each year in STEM education.
“We’ve served over a million children now, so it’s been tremendous for us to come back to this area where it all started and to have this type of event, this type of exposure, for us to be able to help as many kids going forward, not just here in the United States but internationally, so special,” Woods said.
The Genesis Invitational is one of just two events where Woods has made double-digit appearances without registering a win, alongside The Northern Trust.
Not only must Woods contend with that history, but he will also have to take down a loaded field that includes nine of the top 10 players.
- Thousands turn out for Kobe Bryant memorial at LA's Staples CenterBasketball 1 day ago
- Five biggest mistakes Barcelona made with Coutinho transfer [PHOTOS]Football 1 day ago
- Deontay Wilder says his huge ring walk costume contributed to his defeatBoxing 17 hours ago
- Neymar sent off as shaky PSG beat BordeauxFootball 2 days ago
- Antoine Griezmann goal rescues Barcelona at NapoliFootball 12 hours ago
- Chess: Nguku and Mongeli lead search for Olympiad vital slotsSports 1 day ago
- Golf: Late birdie gives Hirani victory at Nyali ClubGolf 2 days ago