British NBA star passes away 'unexpectedly', aged 39
British NBA star Robert Archibald has passed away at the age of 39.
Archibald is the only Scot to play in the NBA and also represented Great Britain at the Olympics in London in 2012.
Archibald played for NBA sides Phoenix Suns, Orlando Magic, and Toronto Raptors.
Basketball Scotland admitted its shock at the "unexpected passing" of Archibald.
The forward centre went to high school and college int the United States before moving to the NBA.
He spent time in Spain int he Euroleague and featured 42 times for Great Britain.
British Basketball Federation chairman Maurice Watkins said: “We are deeply saddened to learn of Robert’s passing.
“He was a fantastic ambassador for Scottish and British basketball and will be fondly remembered for his great contribution to the game in our country, his talent, and his achievements.”
Kevin Pringle, Basketball Scotland chief executive, said: "The news of Robert’s death is a complete shock to us all. He was a wonderful man and a great friend, as well as being a trailblazer and an inspiration to others.
"Robert loved the sport and demonstrated what can be achieved through hard work and the right attitude. Throughout his extraordinary career he always played with pride and determination, and was always a credit to his country, whether representing Scotland or GB at home or abroad.
"The basketball community has lost a great role model and a true friend, and the thoughts of the whole community are with his family at this difficult time. We will miss him.”
- Matano: League title race will go down to the wireFootball 1 day ago
- CAF bars Zimbabwe from hosting international matchesFootball 2 days ago
- Ramogi falls short of making Olympic Games teamBoxing 2 days ago
- FIFA chief Infantino accepts games are at risk due to coronavirusFootball 4 hours ago
- Footballer in Italy has been diagnosed with coronavirusFootball 1 day ago
- Tokyo has no 'Plan B' for this year's Summer Olympics despite coronavirusAthletics 1 day ago
- Fury ready to pay Wilder millions to skip third fightBoxing 2 days ago