Awards: Nigerians, Ethiopians stand out in Soya gala
Nigerians and Ethiopians have dominated Sports Personality of the Year Awards gala as celebrities.
The event assembles Kenya’s finest past and current sports personalities in 15 categories and has elicited exciting fairy tales that would be fit for an Oscar Award.
Former Super Eagles star Victor Ikpeba was at Mombasa Sports Club last night to grace the 2019 Soya gala.
Ikpeba arrived in Mombasa on Wednesday aboard Standard Gauge Railway and held talks with Bandari Football Club on Thursday at Mbaraki Sports Club. He joins a list of sports celebrities who have graced Soya awards in the last one decade. Another Nigerian former international Taribo West and Daniel Amokachi have also been in Nairobi for Soya gala.
Celebrated Cameroonian striker Patrick M’boma who scored a memorable overhead kick against France in 1998 World Cup graced the 2014 Soya awards.
Ethiopian athletics legends Haile Gebrselassie and Meselech Melkamu, South African runners Henrik Ramallah and last year’s guest Ta Lou have also graced the event.
In 2015, former World and Olympic marathon champion Ugandan Stephen Kiprotich was at the KICC for the gala.
Mombasa has hosted the Soya gala twice having hosted it last year at the historic Fort Jesus Museum. The gala has also been used by Mombasa County government to promote local tourism.
- Real's Eden Hazard at risk for City clash after latest injuryFootball 2 days ago
- Messi scores four as Barcelona rout EibarFootball 2 days ago
- Ronaldo marks 1,000th game with record-equalling goalFootball 2 days ago
- Salazar link hit me financially and emotionally, says FarahAthletics 2 days ago
- Pilot in Kobe Bryant helicopter crash faulted for violating flight rules in 2015 caseBasketball 2 days ago
- Tuchel surprised by PSG players partying after Borussia defeatFootball 2 days ago
- Jesus strikes as Man City shrug off spot-kick jitters to beat LeicesterPremier League 2 days ago