Top rugby player forced to abandon career after serious spinal injury
Hull KR prop Mose Masoe’s career has been ended by the serious spinal injury he sustained last weekend.
Rovers coach Tony Smith has confirmed that the 30-year-old Samoan international’s focus is now on being able to walk again.
Masoe underwent surgery in Leeds on Sunday night after being stretchered off in the opening stages of a pre-season match at Wakefield.
Smith said: “This is a career-ending injury. If Mose is able to walk again that will be a success.
“I don’t want to paint a picture that everything is going to be fine and he’s going to be back doing things he used to do.
“It’s going to be a long old haul for Mose.
“I’m really proud to know him and to know the manner he’s conducted himself under the most extreme pressure.
“He’s a big, strong man who was very, very happy prior to the injury and he’s showing the same traits now.
“He’s putting everyone else at ease.”
Smith has named Masoe and Weller Hauraki - ruled out for several months with an ankle injury - as co-captains for 2020.
Smith added: “This isn’t a reaction to any recent occurrences, we want both these young men to represent our club, and still do.
“Mose will play a role for us wherever he can, he will have some input and motivation into the team. He has already done that after he sent a video message. I do want everyone to understand it was agreed last week, that that was going to be the case and it hasn't been a reaction to recent occurrences.
“We’re really proud that he’s going to stay involved and have a big impact on our team and club. We’re really proud to have them both as our captains.”
- Messi scores four as Barcelona rout EibarFootball 7 hours ago
- Allegri puts Man United on red alert with plan to return to dugout in SeptemberPremier League 1 day ago
- Kobe Bryant mourners visit wrong gravesite as mystery surrounds final resting placeBasketball 1 day ago
- Thika Queens yavizia taji la Ligi KuuFootball 2 days ago
- FIA says Safari Rally will add adventure to World ChampionshipSports 2 days ago
- Real's Eden Hazard at risk for City clash after latest injuryFootball 6 hours ago
- Lampard denies conflict with Chelsea over Kepa axePremier League 1 day ago