Gor squash Chemelil Sugar in Kisumu

By Washington Onyango: Thursday, January 16th 2020 at 07:00 GMT +3 | Football
Gor Mahia captain Kenneth Muguna celebrates with Lawrence Juma in a past KPL match. [Washington Onyango,Standard]

Defending champions Gor Mahia bounced back to winning ways after thrashing bottom-placed Chemelil Sugar 4-0 in their rescheduled Kenyan Premier League match at Moi Stadium yesterday, in Kisumu.

Samwel Onyango bagged a brace with Nicholas Kipkirui and substitute Boniface Odhiambo adding two more goals to seal K’Ogalo’s 11th win of the campaign.

The victory saw Gor move to third in the standings with 35 points, trimming the lead between them and leaders Tusker to just two points which left head coach Steven Polack a satisfied man.

Speaking after the match, Polack said he was happy they won with a good margin after their disappointing loss to Kakamega Homeboyz last weekend but criticised his players for wasting chances during the opening half.

Gor Mahia's Boniface Omondi in action during a past KPL match. [Washington Onyango,Standard]

“The boys played very well in the second half and I am happy we scored three goals. The first half was awful after we wasted many clear chances to win the game since the 1-0 lead was very narrow.”

“Generally, it’s a good win and a boost to the squad ahead of the weekend’s crucial tie against Sofapaka. We can now focus on the weekend match,” the Englishman said.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

The match kicked off on a high with the first real chance coming in the second minute when Clifford Miheso’s cross was met by Samwel Onyango, who failed to beat Daniel Kiptoo in goal in a one-on-one encounter.

Five minutes later, captain Kenneth Muguna fed a surging Onyango, who placed the ball into the net but the goal was ruled offside with the assistant referee ruling the striker yards offside.

Miheso and Muguna then combined in the 10th minute but the latter’s shot went wide past a diving Kiptoo.

Gor were finding it difficult to get behind the millers’s defence but grew in confidence as the game progressed and their determination was repaid in the 21st minute when Kipkirui fed Onyango whose low shot drive into the bottom far right corner beat Kiptoo for Gor to lead 1-0.

Moments later, Miheso turned provider for Kipkirui but the former Zoo Kericho man failed to convert a simple tap in after Kiptoo failed to hold onto the ball

Chemelil then stood tall blocking all the visitor’s attacks for Gor to take a slim 1-0 lead at the break.

Two minutes after the restart, Onyango doubled the champions’ lead with a sublime volley into the top right corner from the edge of the box for K’Ogalo to lead 2-0.

The goal opened the game as Chemelil Sugar chased for a reply to no avail.



For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper