Marita eyes league title after scoring on Tusker debut
Newly signed Tusker FC winger Brian Marita hopes the team’s current form will culminate in them winning the Kenyan Premier League(KPL) title.
Tusker, who enjoy an 11-match unbeaten run, are currently top of the KPL standings with 37 points, five more than defending champions Gor Mahia, who are fourth having played three matches less.
Marita, who joined the Brewers in the January mid-season transfer window from AFC Leopards, did not take much time in settling at his new home as he netted an injury-time winner on his debut to help Robert Matano’s men beat Bandari 2-1 in Mombasa last weekend.
“It was a good feeling to score in my first match for the club because I had not even trained with the team for a long time. I was fortunate to be introduced from the bench in the second half and got a chance in the dying minutes which I took,” Marita told Standard Sports.
The 25-year-old, who previously featured for Western Stima, was unveiled by Tusker last Friday alongside Chrispinus Onyango from KCB and Christopher Ochieng from Mathare United.
With Tusker holding a one-point lead over second-placed Kakamega Homeboyz, the speedy winger hopes to help them clinch the league title which they last won in 2016.
“We are three new players at the club and we shall try to do our best to help the team achieve its goal, which is to win the league. This is a very competitive season compared to the previous ones and that’s why the gap between us and the second team is only one point,” said Marita.
Tusker will return to KPL action next month against Ulinzi Stars after the FKF Cup round of 64 matches.
- Everton's Keane says players can be ready in a fortnightPremier League 2 days ago
- Fallen champions Friends School Kamusinga promise to rise againHockey 2 days ago
- Why Injera believes future of Kenya's Sevens rugby is safeRugby 2 days ago
- Arsenal and Manchester United players unite to help fight CoronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- Premier League stars expecting to take a pay cut amid Coronavirus pandemicFootball 2 days ago
- International Cricket Council postpones World Cup qualifiers due to Covid-19Cricket 2 days ago
- Pigamingi: Golfers beware: Covid-19 is realGolf 2 days ago