Tusker make light work of Wazito to go take league lead
Eric Ambunya’s second-half goal is all Tusker needed to beat Wazito in Machakos yesterday to leapfrog Gor Mahia at the top of the Kenyan Premier League.
The former Kakamega Homeboyz defender pounced on George Odhiambo’s 72nd-minute flick in the box following free-kick to slot the ball past an advancing Wazito goalkeeper Kevin Onyango.
The victory saw the 11-time champions take their points tally to 27, two more than Gor, who have three games in hand.
It was a similar scoreline at Bukhungu Stadium as title-chasing Kakamega Homeboyz silenced Bandari.
It took only nine minutes for Christopher Masinza to break the deadlock after volleying home David Okoth’s delivery and help Homeboyz move into the second spot (26 points).
Though head coach Nicholas Muyoti was pleased with his side’s display in their third consecutive win, he was not interested in the title talk.
“It was a very tough game, but an early goal won the match for us. The boys gave a good account of themselves and defended resolutely,” Muyoti told Standard Sports.
“At the moment, I’m not interested in talking about the title but focusing on our next match. The league is a marathon and being at the top, you have already won the title. We will keep on working hard as the season goes on.”
In Kisumu, Benson Amala’s hattrick inspired Western Stima to a 4-1 victory over Zoo 4-1 as Ulinzi Stars piled more misery on relegation-threatened Chemelil Sugar with an identical win in Muhoroni.
Amala opened the floodgates in the 24th minute before doubling the lead 10 minutes later. The Harambee Stars trialist completed his hattrick three minutes into the second half before Dennis Ongeri pulled a goal back for the visitors.
But Salim Hamisi struck in the stoppage time to seal the huge win for the fourth-placed Powermen.
Enosh Ochieng was the hero in Muhoroni, bagging a first-half brace as Ulinzi defeated Chemelil 4-1.
[John Kago and Ezekiel Okare were also on target for the soldiers with a goal each.
- Champions Kisumu All Stars and top players feted during County Basketball League galaFootball 13 hours ago
- Why Tottenham Hotspur are finding it difficult to sell Victor WanyamaFootball 2 days ago
- Motorsport: Kenyan riders off to international contestSports 2 days ago
- FA Cup: Manchester United beat Tranmere 6-0Football 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: KDF Cross Country meet in ThikaAthletics 2 days ago
- Nakuru RFC seek revenge against Oilers in league tieRugby 2 days ago
- Boston marathon: Cherono gears up for title defenceAthletics 4 hours ago