Golf: Mathu claims Standard County Golf Classic title in Limuru
Home club’s Nganga Mathu beat a strong team of 100 golfers to emerge the overall winner of the Standard County Golf Classic tournament at the par 72 Limuru Golf and Country Club Course, in Kiambu, on Saturday.
The handicap 13 golfer survived on a countback score to bring home 37 stableford points after bagging 18 and 19 points in both nines to claim the victory.
The day-long 18-hole tournament was sponsored by the Standard Group and attracted golfers from the home club, guests and staff of the sponsor who had valid handicaps.
Mathu’s victory came after sinking a lone birdie at the par four- sixth hole with an additional six level pars against a mixed pot of bogey shots in the rest of the holes from both nines.
“It’s great to have won this event. The course was playing well and I had good partners. I thank the Standard Group for bringing the tournament to our club,” said Mathu.
He tied on the same score with club mate handicap 30 Peter Nyamu, who was the men winner.
Kezie Kihara, also from the cub and playing off handicap 18, brought 35 points to win the lady’s prize while club mate handicap 32 Priscilla Waithaka was the lady runner-up on 32 points.
Standard Group Chief Executive Officer Orlando Lyomu, who is a member of the club and playing off handicap 23, walked home with the Staff Prize after posting 28 points (13-15).
Lyomu thanked the golfers for turning up for the company’s tournament.
He said the company will continue to associate itself with sports as a way of bringing together its readers and viewers.
School boy Allan Ndichu, playing handicap 19, was the best junior on 26 points, while Muthaiga’s handicap 25 John Gachora was the Guest winner on 33 points.
- Harry Maguire to take charge right away after Young's departure Football 2 days ago
- Ashley Young begins 'new adventure' at Inter MilanFootball 2 days ago
- Top rugby player forced to abandon career after serious spinal injuryRugby 2 days ago
- Bruno Fernandes future is 'still unclear' amid Man United linksGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Toothless Atletico beaten at tiny EibarFootball 2 days ago
- Tottenham escape routes continue to elude WanyamaFootball 1 day ago
- The ugly side of Kenya Morans’ history-making feat at Nyayo gymnasium [Photos]Basketball 1 day ago