Kenya Sevens name strong squad for 2019-20 season
Kenya men’s rugby Sevens coach Paul Feeney is keen on guiding the team to a top-eight finish when the 2019-20 World Sevens Series kicks off with the Dubai leg next month.
Feeney, who has named an 18-man squad for the 10-legged Series, has been boosted with the return of several key players as Shujaa look to recover from last season’s disastrous performance which saw them finish 13th after flirting with relegation for the entire campaign.
Collins Injera, the team’s all-time leading try-scorer, headlines the squad with the likes of captain Andrew Amonde, William Ambaka, Billy Odhiambo and Nelson Oyoo making the cut.
Mwamba duo of Tony Omondi and Mike Okello, as well as KCB’s Geoffrey Okwach, are the only players without World Series experience, who have made it to the team that will also represent the country at next year’s Olympic Games, in Tokyo.
Johnstone Olindi, Vincent Onyala and Daniel Taabu have been retained following a brilliant display in their debut season.
Onyala was Shujaa’s lead try scorer in the 2018-19 season after crossing the whitewash 22 times while his KCB teammate Olindi was the team’s best tackler with 64 tackles.
“We are looking to have a consistent season as we aim for a top-eight finish at the close of the 2019-20 campaign. I am happy with the blend of youth and experience in the squad,” Feeney said yesterday.
The New Zealander will on Thursday next week drop five players when he names the squad that travels for the Dubai and Cape Town assignments.
Dubai Sevens, which will for the first time be played at one venue alongside the women’s event, is slated for December 5-7 before action heads to Cape Town one week later.
“One of the reasons Tony Omondi made it to the squad is because he is a very good kicker. We have witnessed a few mistakes from the team but I think we are heading in the right direction for sure,” said Feeney.
- Former Manchester United goalkeeper deadFootball 1 day ago
- East Africans rue missed chance to continental dutyBasketball 7 hours ago
- Chaos as stray dog joins soccer matchFootball 12 hours ago
- Chelsea vs Manchester United: Confirmed lineupFootball 1 day ago
- Boxing: Okwiri eyes gold Medal at Olympic qualifiers in DakarBoxing 1 day ago
- Dortmund's 'Yellow Wall': The gigantic monster lying in wait for PSGFootball 2 days ago
- Barca deny criticising players, including Messi, on social mediaFootball 21 hours ago