Nations Cup: Makwata, Akumu back in Stars Afcon squad
AFC Leopards marksman John Makwatta has been recalled to the national team Harambee Stars by head coach Francis Kimanzi for the upcoming Group G 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
Harambee Stars begin their qualifying campaign on November 14 with a tricky away tie against Mohammed Salah-led Egypt in Cairo before taking on Togo at Kasarani Stadium on November 19.
Makwata, who has had an instant impact in the den scoring five goals in his last outing since joining them in the off season last won his cap in June 2018 during the four-nations Hero International Cup in India.
The former Ulinzi Stars man has been working hard and fighting for a return to the national team ever since, with his wish finally granted by Kimanzi yesterday.
But it will not be a walk in the park for Makwata as he faces stiff competition for a starting place from Kashiwa Reysol talisman Michael Olunga and Zesco United’s Jesse Were.
Sofapaka striker John Avire, who has been embroiled in a transfer saga since featuring at the 2019 continental finals in Egypt, has also made a return to the team alongside Zesco United midfielder Teddy Akumu who was overlooked for the tournament by former Stars coach Sebastian Migne.
Kimanzi has retained majority of the players from the Afcon finals squad led by Tottenham Hotspurs midfielder Victor Wanyama.
- Five-star Liverpool thrash sorry EvertonFootball 1 day ago
- Fiji start World Sevens series defence with victory over JapanRugby 1 day ago
- Pogba 'determined' to seal Man Utd exit ahead of Euro 2020Premier League 6 hours ago
- Hazard to miss El-Clasico after tests reveal ankle fractureFootball 1 day ago
- Teams arrive for Tong-Il Moo showpieceSports 1 day ago
- FKF to unveil new lucrative deal with OdiBetsFootball 2 days ago
- Magical Kenya Ladies Open tees off at Vipingo Ridge’s PGA Baobab CourseGolf 1 day ago