Cristiano Ronaldo discusses Lionel Messi rivalry as he eyes sixth Ballon d'Or
Cristiano Ronaldo claims he has a "healthy rivalry" with Lionel Messi - but says he felt his presence more when they were La Liga rivals.
The pair were at the forefront of the rivalry between Barcelona and Real Madrid before Ronaldo ditched Spain to join Juventus in 2018.
Ronaldo won four of his five Ballon d'Or crowns as a Real Madrid player between 2009 and 2018, during which time he dominated the individual accolade alongside Messi.
Their run of dominance came to an end last year after Ronaldo's Real Madrid exit as former team-mate Luka Modric beat them both to the crown.
And Ronaldo admits playing in the same league made both himself and Messi better as he opened up on their competition.
"A lot of people said that we fed each other, that being together in Spain made us better," Ronaldo told France Football .
"That's certainly true, I felt his presence more in Madrid than in Manchester.
"It was a healthy rivalry.
"We were the symbols of our clubs.
"I think he said recently that he missed me on a competitive level."
Both superstars are in contention for a historic sixth Ballon d'Or in December having been named on France Football's shortlist, with Messi considered the main threat to favourite Virgil van Dijk.
But Ronaldo's exclusive interview with the magazine has prompted speculation in Italy he is now emerging as a real contender to lift the iconic Golden Ball.
Discussing his status amongst the greatest of all-time, Ronaldo added: "It's always nice to be spoken of in a flattering way.
"It's nice if they say I've been the best, a fantastic player.
"Today I hear everything they say about me, but when it's all over, at the end of my career, I won't mind because I'll disconnect from everything."
- Everton sack manager Silva after Merseyside derby humblingFootball 20 hours ago
- Blomqvist claim top spot as cars return to KenyaSports 2 days ago
- Solskjaer 'plotting drastic tactical switch' for Tottenham clashFootball 2 days ago
- 'Your eyes burn' - Golfer in mask as smoke shrouds Australian OpenGolf 1 day ago
- Rodgers sign new Leicester deal to end speculation over Arsenal jobFootball 12 hours ago
- Russia braces for four-year Olympic ban over doping scandalSports 10 hours ago
- Mane was snubbed for Ballon d'Or because he is African, claims KouyateFootball 1 day ago