Basketball: Champions Equity out, KPA in final
Defending champions Equity Bank women’s basketball team’s hopes of retaining the 2019 FIBA Africa Zone Five Women Basketball Club championship went up in smoke after they were bundled out by Ugandan giants JKL Dolphines on Friday night at Taifa Indoor gymnasium in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
However, Kenya had something to smile about after former champions Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) powered their way to the final.
It was end of the road for the Kenyan bankers after they lost 62-53 to the Ugandans who are marking their third year since the formation of the team.
Interestingly, the bankers took a comfortable 17-11 lead in the first quarter before they collapsed.
KPA overpowered APR of Rwanda 62-46 in the other semi-final match at the same venue.
The Dockers started on the wrong footing going down 15-21 in the first quarter before coach Mike Opel read a riot act to his girls who went ahead to win the subsequent quarters (29-27, 43-38, 62-46). [Ernest Ndunda]
- Wilson Kipsang survives road accident [Photos]Athletics 1 day ago
- Kimanzi gets two-match ban for unsporting behaviorFootball 2 days ago
- What a Magical Kenya Ladies Open!Golf 2 days ago
- Atletico, Atalanta reach last 16 as Bayern cruise past SpursFootball 11 hours ago
- Russia reacts with anger after doping banSports 2 days ago
- City Stars go eight-points clear as Shabana bounce backFootball 2 days ago
- Barcelona president sends message to Guardiola as Man City 'prepare to lose him'Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago