Basketball: Champions Equity out, KPA in final
Defending champions Equity Bank women’s basketball team’s hopes of retaining the 2019 FIBA Africa Zone Five Women Basketball Club championship went up in smoke after they were bundled out by Ugandan giants JKL Dolphines on Friday night at Taifa Indoor gymnasium in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
However, Kenya had something to smile about after former champions Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) powered their way to the final.
It was end of the road for the Kenyan bankers after they lost 62-53 to the Ugandans who are marking their third year since the formation of the team.
Interestingly, the bankers took a comfortable 17-11 lead in the first quarter before they collapsed.
KPA overpowered APR of Rwanda 62-46 in the other semi-final match at the same venue.
The Dockers started on the wrong footing going down 15-21 in the first quarter before coach Mike Opel read a riot act to his girls who went ahead to win the subsequent quarters (29-27, 43-38, 62-46). [Ernest Ndunda]
- Who will win 2019 Soya gala tonight?Sports 20 hours ago
- Manchester United make Bruno Fernandes breakthroughGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Manchester United hilariously torn apart online after disastrous loss to BurnleyFootball 1 day ago
- Cherono to lead Boston Marathon line upAthletics 23 hours ago
- PSG star linked with move to Old Trafford but Utd are wary of repeating mistakes made with SanchezFootball 16 hours ago
- Bolt set to become father after announcing girlfriend is expectingSports 1 day ago
- Teenager Gauff stuns Osaka in MelbourneTennis 12 hours ago