Golf: Last-minute birdie gives Koech victory in Mombasa
Sea-Link Mombasa Golf Club’s Assistant captain Gregory Koech re-discovered his winning formula at his backyard as he emerged the overall winner of the 2019 Kenya Navy Commander’s Cup Golf tournament, on Saturday.
Koech, playing off handicap 7, carded 37 stableford points to lift the trophy in the day long 18-hole stableford tournament as he floored a team of 100 golfers in the tournament that was sponsored by Kenya Navy.
His patience paid off in the last minutes of the second nine after sinking a rare birdie at the par five-14th hole with an additional 12 level pars against a mixed bogey shot in the rest of both nines to take the lead.
“Although I did not expect to win, I am extremely happy for the victory and hope to maintain my form in the subsequent events,” said Koech.
The club’s former chairman Peter Kimanga was the runner-up on a countback score of 35 points after tying with Nyali Club’s handicap 4 E.Wekesa, who was placed third.
At the par 71 Muthaiga course, handicap 12 David Ngugi posted 39 points to emerge the overall winner of the 2019 Amerucans tournament played on Saturday.
Handicap 4 Evans Vitisa, on a countback of score of 37 points, was the Men winner while handicap 7 Uday Rajani, who had the same score, was the Men runner-up.
Handicap 26 Eddy Njoroge finished third on 35 points.
Florence Maina, playing off handicap 11, claimed the lady’s Prize on 34 points as she relegated handicap 26 Sonia Patel to the runner-up slot by a point’s difference.
Kenya Railway’s handicap 30 C. Otachi, on 36 points, was the Guest Prize winner, while handicap 17 Gregory Mwenda, who had 31 points, triumphed in the Sponsor’s category.
At the par 72 Ruiru Sports Club, home club’s handicap 28 Mwangi Wahome posted 69 nett to win the September 2019 Mug.
Handicap 18 Catherine Wambui played 75 nett to claim the lady’s prize, while Margaret Murui claimed the runner-p slot on 79 nett.
- COVID-19: Sports Ministry to disburse Sh50million to athletes over two monthsFootball 2 days ago
- Mwamba RFC announce new kit partnership with Samurai [PHOTOS]Rugby 1 day ago
- Virtual athletics: Cheruiyot to take on Norwegian brothers on June 11Athletics 2 days ago
- Blackburn star, two Fulham players test positive for COVID-19Football 1 day ago
- Premier League to restart on June 17 Premier League 1 day ago
- David Luiz’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?Football 1 day ago
- Gilly Okumu keen on dribbling to increased stardomHockey 1 day ago