Rugby: Kenya Lionesses inch closer to 2020 Olympic Games
The Kenya national women’s rugby Sevens team, Lionesses, is on the verge of qualifying for the 2020 Olympic Games after reaching the quarter-finals of the Africa Sevens-cum-Olympic qualifiers in Monastir, Tunisia yesterday.
Kenya, who are seeking to return to the Olympics after making their debut in Brazil in 2016, qualified for the last eight with a game to spare after thrashing debutants Ghana 36-0, before following it up with an emphatic 49-0 victory over Botswana in their second pool A contest.
Against the Ghanaians, Lionesses, who are chasing a second successive continental title, managed six tries and three conversions, with Mwamba RFC speedster Janet Okello crossing the whitewash twice.
The Kenyans took a 19-0 advantage to halftime, before completing the rout with three more tries and a solitary conversion.
The script was similar when the Felix Oloo-coached Lionesses tackled Botswana, as they put nine tries past the hapless southern Africans.
In other matches, last year’s losing finalists Uganda lost 32-0 to tournament favourites South Africa, as hosts Tunisia beat Morocco 31-0.
Meanwhile, Strathmore Leos were crowned champions in the universities’ category of the Impala Floodlit tournament after dethroning University of Nairobi’s Mean Machine with a 26-16 win at the Impala Club.
Ofafa Jericho claimed the schools’ title following a 21-0 win over Muhuri Muchiri.
Ofafa Jericho’s Frank Oduor was feted as the Most Valuable Player.
- Are Gor Mahia losing the fear factor?Football 2 days ago
- Sheffield Wed 0-3 Reading: Kenyan international Timbe shines in ‘Royals’ debutFootball 10 hours ago
- Italy's FA requests FIFA for VAR 'challenges' in Serie AFootball 2 days ago
- Olympics: WHO says no case for cancelling, moving Tokyo Games -IOC coordinatorSports 2 days ago
- Wolves held at home by Foxes after VAR rules out goalFootball 1 day ago
- Mauricio Pochettino and Brendan Rodgers 'top contenders for Man City job' Gossip & Rumours 8 hours ago
- Financial rules at risk of being ruined if Man City overturn European banFootball 11 hours ago