Thunder strike USIU-A Tigers in KBF league tie at Nyayo
Griffin Ligare was on fire as Thunder struck United States International University of Africa (USIU-A) Tigers 80-62 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) men’s Premier League match at Nyayo Gymnasium yesterday.
Ligare sunk 27 points to anchor last season’s semi-finalists to their 18th win.
The victory also saw Thunder go level on 36 points with Ulinzi Warriors.
Ancet Wafula added 15 points for Thunder while Ariel Ortega was Tigers’ top scorer with 16 points.
Despite the poor run that had seen them win two ties out of 14 USIU-A showed courage in the first quarter with Ortega and Larry Shavanga ensuring that the period ended with both sides tied on 22 points.
However, they were subdued in the second quarter with Thunder’s trio of Ligare, Kevin Chogo and Wafula showing their brilliance scoring 19 points against Tigers 12 and take a 41-34 half-time lead.
On resumption, Wafula was superb as Thunder controlled the game to take the third quarter 24-12 and stretch their lead to 19 points going into the last period.
USIU-A would recover in the final quarter to contain Thunder but it was too late to salvage the game as they succumbed to their 13th loss of the season.
In women’s Division One, Riara University consolidated their top spot with a 66-61 win over Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) Youth.
KPA’s Beatrice Wanjiku scored a match high 23 but her effort was not good enough to help her side evade defeat.
Diana Wafula led Riara with 16 points, with Ashley Minayo adding 15 to see their side maintain their number one slot with 31 points.
It was Riara’s brilliance in the first quarter that won them the match as they took a commanding 23-6 lead.
The junior dockers recovered to take the second quarter 19-11, but the students still enjoyed a nine point lead going into the half-time break. KPA dominated the second half.
- Boxer Patrick Day dies after being knocked outBoxing 2 days ago
- Italian football giant AS Roma launches Swahili Twitter account Football 2 days ago
- Third straight Golden Shoe for MessiFootball 2 days ago
- Sadio Mane: This is why I quarreled with Salah during Liverpool’s win over Burnley in August Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal Star impressed by Rwandan Kids Football 2 days ago
- Ex-Juventus boss opens up about reports he’s the first-choice to replace Ole Gunnar should he be sackedFootball 2 days ago
- When lines, pacesetters make all the difference in golfGolf 1 day ago