Schools: Nyakach, Itigo to fly Kenyan flag
National Secondary Schools girls’ football champions Nyakach, Itigo and former East Africa winners Archbishop Njenga shoulder Kenya’s hopes of bagging the regional crown for three years in a row.
They will be tasked to ensure that the coveted trophy won by Wiyeta and Kwale Girls in 2017 and 2018 returns home. Archbishop Njenga are longing to reclaim the title they won last in 2011 while Nyakach who return to the games after a two-year absence and Itigo will be chasing their maiden title.
Nyakach coach Chrispine Odindo said her girls are out to improve on their 2016 fourth place finish.
“We did not play well in 2016 and failed to make it to the semis but we have a chance to make amends and perform better. We want to the title to return to Kenya so that we can maintain the three slots for Kenyan teams in the 2020 games,” Odindo said.
For them to attain their feat, he said, they will work together to ensure all the three Kenyan teams reach the knockout stage. “We will support all the girls so they can all qualify for the semis and we will get closer to achieving our objectives.”
He said they expect a tough challenge from Ugandans who have also been dominant in the games.
“The Ugandan teams are tough as some of them have won the title before and are regulars at the games. We (Nyakach) have worked out on our weaknesses and strengths based on our national performance and we hope to get better because my players improve with every match.” Nyakach are in Group A together with Archbishop Njenga, Mukono High and St Noa from Uganda and Tanzania’s Kihesa.
- How Kenya floored the world at Mombasa OpenSports 1 day ago
- Everton investigate 'homophobic' chants at Chelsea fansFootball 2 days ago
- Basketball: Ulinzi Warriors lock horns with ThunderBasketball 1 day ago
- Rugby: Strathmore end Maside Muliro University’s unbeaten run Rugby 2 days ago
- Benitez not keen on Arsenal and Everton jobsPremier League 7 hours ago
- Klopp provides injury update on Liverpool trio ahead of Salzburg clashFootball 1 day ago
- US envoy visits Kipchoge at Kaptagat, pledges support for athleticsAthletics 23 hours ago