Sudan’s Al Ahly hold tough Bandari to a goalless draw

By Rodgers Eshitemi: Sunday, August 11th 2019 at 10:26 GMT +3 | Sports
Bandari FC’s William Wadri (left) and Mohamed Khatab of Al Ahli Shandi during the first leg tie of the CAF Confederation Cup at Kasarani stadium on Saturday. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

There is still a lot to play in return leg of CAF Confederation Cup preliminary round in Khartoum, Sudan after Bandari were held to a barren draw by Al Ahly Shandy at Kasarani Stadium yesterday.

The two teams produced a lethargic performance in a game that witnessed very few scoring chances. For the first time in many matches, Bandari failed to have a single shot on target.

The result means that the dockers must now rediscover their scoring streak and win away or force the Sudanese side to a scoring draw after a fortnight for them to progress to the next round of the second-tier competition of African club football.

Despite failing to score at home, Bandari coach is still optimistic of guiding his side to the first round.

“Our main problem has been scoring chances, but honestly speaking today we didn’t have those chances. The positive thing is that the game ended in a goalless draw. The qualification is still wide open. What we need to do is to pile pressure on them by scoring away. It’s not yet over for us, we will give our best in Khartoum, “said Mwalala.

Impressive Bandari goalkeeper

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Mohamed Abdala thought he had given Ahli an early 12th minute lead only for his goal to be ruled offside. This came moments after Abdala had been brilliantly denied in the sixth minute by an impressive Bandari goalkeeper Michael Wanyika.

Bandari responded in the 20th minute when Darius Msagha’s header from Yema Muama’s delivery was thwarted by an opposing defender before goalkeeper Awad Hamd stopped Abdallah Hassan’s effort on the half hour mark.

William Wadri then saw his diving header from Yema Muama’s delivery went agonizingly wide.
Bernard Mwalala made tactical change a few minutes into the second half, bringing on burly striker Wycliffe Ochomo for midfielder Collins Ogade.

Brilliant build up

Musab Mohamed forced a fine save from Wanyika on the hour mark before Danson Namasaka recovered quickly to deny Musab another scoring opportunity. Wanyika then came off his line to stop Yasir Mohamed from scoring.

Bandari nearly found the breakthrough in 68th minute when Wadri combined well with Ochomo but there was nobody in the box to pounce on the former Gor Mahia man’s cutback. Benjamin Mosha then miscued his effort in the area after a brilliant build up from the dockers.

Ahli responded immediately but Ahmed Alhasaan’s free header from Galal Elmanzoul’s delivery went wide before Hamd kept out Ochomo’s header.

Moments later, another chance fell to Ochomo in the box, but the burly striker failed to make contact on the ball as both sides pushed for the winner with no vain.


For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper