Ex- Arsenal and Man Utd striker Danny Welbeck set to sign for Watford
Watford are in talks to sign former Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck on a free transfer, according to reports.
The England international is currently without a club after leaving Arsenal at the start of the summer.
The 28-year-old scored 32 goals in 126 games for the Gunners following a £16million move from Premier League rivals Manchester United in 2014.
However, his time at the Emirates was blighted by injuries and he managed just 14 appearances for Unai Emery's side in all competitions last season.
He has not played since sustaining a serious ankle problem in a Europa League match against Sporting Lisbon in November and ended his five-year stay with the club earlier this summer.
Everton and West Ham were both thought to be interested in Welbeck, but the Evening Standard reports that the forward wants to join a club where he is guaranteed regular first-team football.
Although the Hornets are understood to have concerns about his ability to stay healthy, it is claimed that manager Javi Gracia is keen to enter negotiations because he believes the player's experience and professionalism would make him a valuable addition.
According to the publication, Welbeck is requesting wages of £100,000 per week and a £5m signing-on fee to make the move to Vicarage Road.
However, it is claimed that the club will offer a lower base salary with a number of performance-related bonuses in order to provide protection against any further injury problems.
Due to the striker's current status as a free agent, the deal does not have to be completed before Thursday's 5 pm deadline, meaning that Watford are not under any time constraints to reach an agreement.
Meanwhile, the club have reportedly rejected a £30m offer from Everton for Abdoulaye Doucoure, with former Hornets boss Marco Silva hoping to sign a replacement for Idrissa Gueye.
- Morales blast downs Real as Hazard limps off injuredFootball 2 days ago
- Mwamba coach Wambua begins to feel the weight despite close winRugby 2 days ago
- Russian tennis star Sharapova retiresTennis 6 hours ago
- Chelsea sent Robert Lewandowski warning ahead of Bayern Munich clashFootball 1 day ago
- Barcelona bank on Messi's magic for Champions LeagueFootball 2 days ago
- Deontay Wilder handed six-week suspension after Tyson Fury defeatBoxing 1 day ago
- Kiprop turns to rally after doping troubleAthletics 1 day ago