Manchester United to surprise fans by signing top midfielder from close rival
Manchester United are reportedly working on thrashing out a deal with Tottenham for midfielder Christian Eriksen before the transfer window slams shut on Thursday.
The Dane and his representatives are hopeful of sealing a move away from Spurs and the playmaker is top of United's list of priorities, according to the Mail.
Premier League clubs must finalise all their incomings by Thursday but will have until September 2 to sell any players, with Paul Pogba still being linked with a switch to Juventus and Real Madrid .
Eriksen's departure could have a knock-on effect for one-time United target Bruno Fernandes, who Spurs are keen on taking to north London.
Tottenham have also been strongly linked with a swoop of Real Betis star Giovani Lo Celso.
Eriksen had hoped to seal a move to Real Madrid but Los Blancos would rather lure Pogba to the Bernabeu, and are also interested in signing Donny van de Beek from Ajax.
If Eriksen fails to move before Thursday's deadline, Atletico Madrid and Juventus could join the race in a bid to land a cut-price deal in the region of £50million.
Spurs could be tempted to cash in given Eriksen has just one year left on his contract and could leave for free next summer.
Tottenham supremo Daniel Levy had initially slapped a £130million price tag on the 27-year-old, which clubs in England and across the continent balked at.
But United could bid around half that amount to try and get the deal done.
- World rugby chiefs to review transgender policiesRugby 2 days ago
- Blow for Liverpool: Henderson ruled out for three weeks with injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury – 22Bet ReviewSports 2 days ago
- Beach Volleyball: Coach Mulinge drops twoVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Karen leg of Safari Tour attracts record fieldGolf 2 days ago
- Lampard denies conflict with Chelsea over Kepa axePremier League 2 days ago
- Why Gor Mahia official will not vie for NEC Women RepresentativeSports 2 days ago