KCB beat Homeboyz to clinch Kakamega 7s title
Three converted tries saw KCB clinch the Kakamega Sevens title after beating Homeboyz 21-12 in the final of the first round of the National Sevens Circuit in Kakamega, yesterday.
As a result, the Ruaraka-based club took early control of the overall standings with 22 points ahead of the second leg, Kabeberi Sevens slated for Meru this weekend.
Circuit defending champions Homeboyz are second on 19 points while Mwamba, who beat Nakuru RFC to bag Bronze in Kakamega, have 17 points.
Vincent Onyala, a revelation for the national Sevens team during the 2018-19 World Sevens Series, opened the scoring for the bankers after going between the sticks for a converted try.
KCB were temporarily dealt a numerical blow after Olindi was sin-binned for an infringement.
Homeboyz made their one-man advantage count with Collins Shikoli scoring a try that was converted by Brian Juma as the sides went to halftime level.
Olindi announced his return to the field scoring KCB’s second try before Isaac Njoroge took the bankers beyond the reach of Homeboyz.
Homeboyz reduced the deficit at the death courtesy of Juma’s five-pointer but the damage was already done.
On their way to the final, Homeboyz, who qualified to the knock out stage as Pool A winners, scored three unconverted tries to beat Nondescripts 15-5 in the Main Cup quarterfinal.
The two-time National Sevens Circuit winners then made light work of Nakuru RFC in the semi-finals, claiming a 20-0 win.
Against Nakuru, Shikoli handed Homeboyz a 5-0 advantage after crossing the whitewash for an unconverted try.
The Deejays did not take much time in utilising their one-man advantage as winger Mark Wandeto was teed up by Brian Juma to race down the flank and hand Homeboyz a 10-point cushion.
The speedy Wandeto sealed his brace barely two minutes later, scoring a try that was reminiscent of his first.
KCB saw off varsity side Strathmore Leos 26-12 in the quarter-finals before following it up with a comprehensive 19-5 win over fancied Mwamba in the last four.
The KCB and Mwamba match brought together two sides that were unbeaten so far.
- United Arab Emirates head coach sacked after loss to QatarFootball 1 day ago
- Kenyans let go of Copa Africa Cup trophy after lossSports 1 day ago
- Tiger Woods' niece among top stars at VipingoGolf 2 days ago
- Are we headed for a Nyamweya – Mwendwa FKF showdown?Football 2 days ago
- Ozil angrily yells at assistant manager after Arsenal defeat by BrightonFootball 13 hours ago
- KPL postpones matches involving Gor, Mathare and UlinziSports 18 hours ago
- Revealed: Rooney wrote transfer request in Everton canteen to force Man United moveGossip & Rumours 2 days ago