Athletics: Cheruiyot standouts at Prisons races
World 1,500m silver medallist Timothy Cheruiyot outshone his opponents in 800m on the final day of the Kenya Prison Service athletics championships, yesterday at Kasarani.
World U-20 steeplechase record holder Celliphine Chespol and Charles Yosei Mneria also produced brilliant shows to the delight of the sizable crowd that included Kenya Prisons Commissioner General Wycliffe Ongalo and his deputy Benjamin Njoga.
Cheruiyot hit the first lap in 50.7 seconds before stretching the gap in the backstretch to win in a time of 1:44.60.
Isaack Kipketer was second in 1:49.37, while Duncun Ololoisha finished third in 1:50.28.
“My aim was to run well as part of my preparations ahead of the national championships and the ongoing Diamond League circuits,” said Cheruiyot.
Rosemary Wanjiru triumphed in women’s 10,000m.
- Title race intensifies as KPL resumes with seven matches Football 5 hours ago
- Is this Bidco United’s yearSports 2 days ago
- Teenager Gauff stuns Osaka in MelbourneTennis 23 hours ago
- Athletics Championships: Sports CS inspects World U-20 facilities at KUSports 5 hours ago
- Cherono to lead Boston Marathon line upAthletics 1 day ago
- Why Tottenham Hotspur are finding it difficult to sell Victor WanyamaFootball 6 hours ago
- Former Super Eagles star Ikpeba to grace Soya galaSports 2 days ago