ATHLETICS: Emase wins 10,000m at Kenya Prisons championships
Peter Emase won the men’s 10,000m champion as the two-day Kenya Prisons championship kicked off the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani yesterday.
2007 Osaka World marathon champion Luke Kibet, former Paris marathon champion Mark Korir, Cornelius Kangogo, Wilfred Kimitei were in the leading pack as they exchanged the lead in the first half of the race before Emase joined the lead.
Then Emase, Kangogo and Kimitei exchanged the lead, making the race a three-horse race with others left in their trail.
With five laps to go Kimitei looked tired as Emase engaged the afterburners to win the race in 28:38.04 ahead of the national championships cum trials for the World Championships on August 20-22 at Nyayo Stadium. Kimeti held on the second slot in 28:56.04 ahead of Kangogo who cloked 28:58.03 while Emmanuel Ngatuny was fourth in 29:18.03. Kibet finished fifth in 29:40.00.
“I have been away from the competition with a hip injury that made me miss out the whole 2018 season.
“My target is to run sub 28 at the national championships where I hope to face off against the best,” said Emase, who was representing Nairobi Region.
In the middle distance races, World Under 20 and 18 George Manangoi running as guest easily won the men’s 1500m heat one to book a place in today’s finals.
In heat two, Vincent Keter also running as a guest won with world silver medallist Timothy Cheruiyot also easily making the final.
- Malkia Strikers play well against Brazil, but still go down in straight setsVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago
- Ballon d'Or organisers introduce goalkeeper awardFootball 23 hours ago
- Former football star passes away after battle with motor neurone diseaseFootball 2 days ago
- Rugby World Cup kicks off with outstanding opening ceremony [Photos]Rugby 3 hours ago
- KPA MD Manduku flags off Bandari, welcomes TwahaFootball 1 day ago
- Cheruiyot earns promotion ahead of World ChampionshipsAthletics 1 day ago
- FKF Elections: Nyamweya, ex-Vihiga Governor Akaranga join frayFootball 2 days ago