BOXING: Ramogi to defend heavyweight title in Mombasa
National Superheavyweight champion Fredrick Ramogi of Kenya Defence Forces is ready to defend the title during the third leg of the National Boxing League in Mombasa from Thursday to Saturday.
Ramogi said he has been out of competitive assignments and was happy to be back after a long lay-off.
He said taking part in the league championships was an avenue to renew his rivalry with long time opponents on his way to defend the title.
“There is no boxer who can match my skills in my weight. I have been knocking them out one after the other and that is the way to go at the end of it this weekend to enhance my chances of getting selected for international championships,” he told Standard Sports.
Ramogi’s participation in the league championships to be hosted by a faction of Boxing Association of Kenya indicates a shift in loyalty to the newly elected supremo Antony Otieno Ombok.
“We are headed to Mombasa for the league championships and my desire is to successfully defend the title and possibly get selected for the forthcoming international championships,” he explained.
Ramogi led the soldiers last season to snatch the league title from former seven time champions Kenya Police, who will also be in the coastal city according to their assistant coach John Waweru.
Apart from the KDF’s, other teams expected in Mombasa include; Kenya Police, Kenya Prisons, Githurai 44, Kenyatta National Hospital, Kibra, Oscar Kassongo Sports Academy (OKSA) and Kentrack.
The counties that are sending their boxers for the league championships are Kisumu, Siaya, Kwale, Kilifi, Nakuru, Trans Nzoia, Laikipia, Nairobi, Busia, Meru, Vihiga, Kiambu, Mombasa and Kakamega.
- Hazard to miss El-Clasico after tests reveal ankle fractureFootball 1 day ago
- Teams arrive for Tong-Il Moo showpieceSports 1 day ago
- FKF to unveil new lucrative deal with OdiBetsFootball 2 days ago
- Magical Kenya Ladies Open tees off at Vipingo Ridge’s PGA Baobab CourseGolf 1 day ago
- Chelsea cleared to make signings in January transfer windowFootball 9 hours ago
- Blomqvist maintains top spotSports 18 hours ago
- Mount, Abraham sink Villa as Chelsea return to formFootball 1 day ago