Why AFCON Liverpool star Mane will miss first Premier League match
Liverpool are set to be without their star striker Sadio Mane for their first game of the Premier League season after Senegal progressed to the semifinals of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
The Lions of Teranga beat Benin on Wednesday evening to confirm their place in the semifinals of the tournament despite the Liverpool man being denied two goals by VAR.
A step closer to the final brings the possibility of Mane emulating his Liverpool teammates Allison Becker and Roberto Firmino who recently added an international trophy to their Champions League triumph in form of the Copa America.
As Mane hunts for international silverware, it is a big concern for Liverpool as they will have to do without their star striker in the English Premier League curtain-raiser that will be played on Friday, August 9 at Anfield.
The newly-promoted Norwich City will visit the Kop as they bid to kick start their EPL survival battle after doing well in the Championship the previous season.
Liverpool being at home should have enough personnel in Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino plus the backing of the home fans to win the tie.
They will, however, miss the free-scoring Senegalese who clinched the EPL golden boot last season alongside Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Arsenal and teammate Salah and also played an instrumental role in the Reds’ Champions League triumph. ?
- England coach: Ronaldo, Messi wouldn't do what rugby players doRugby 1 day ago
- Kenya 7s eye Tokyo Olympics qualifiersRugby 1 day ago
- Victory for Kenyans at last in the ICC T20Cricket 1 day ago
- Hansen preps All Blacks for unlikely kicking contest against EnglandRugby 1 day ago
- FKF sweats over Sh125m paid for OB van yet to be deliveredFootball 21 hours ago
- Athletics: Simui sets eyes on Standard Chartered 10km race titleAthletics 21 hours ago
- Diamond League format denies Kenyans more incomeAthletics 21 hours ago