Uhuru to preside over Safari Rally
President Uhuru Kenyatta will flag off the 2019 Safari Rally at the Kasarani Stadium on Friday.
State House spokesperson Kanze Dena termed the rally as “special” saying it would grant Kenya an opportunity to return to the World Rally Championships calendar.
“This rally is special because Kenya will be fighting for a chance to have the world rally championship return to the country.”
She urged Kenyans to come out in large numbers and cheer the rally drivers who among them is State House Chief of Staff Nzioka Waita. "Sports is among one of the things that can unite us as Kenyans," she added.
KCB Bank Kenya has committed Sh50 million towards this year’s WRC Safari Rally Candidate event slated for Friday 5th July – Sunday 7th July 2019.
KCB Group Marketing and Communications Director Angela Mwirigi while making the announcement reiterated that the Bank will continue with its tradition of solid motorsport sponsorship in the coming years.
“KCB Bank Kenya will be the official banking partner for the 2019 Safari rally, we are envisaging to re-ignite the motorsport spirit in Kenya as we gear up for the return of the WRC” said Angela.
51 drivers have signed up for the historic event which will also double up as the fourth round of FIA African Rally Championship (ARC). The 2019 Safari Rally will run this weekend with the crews traversing Nairobi and Nakuru counties.
The rally will be flagged outside the presidential pavilion at Kasarani Stadium at 11 am on Friday morning after which the crews will set off for a gruelling 796.86 Kms around Nairobi, Kiambu and Nakuru Counties.
Among the top contenders expected to spice up the competition are reigning two times Africa Champion Manvir Baryan, 5-times Safari Rally winner Carl Tundo, Zambian duo of Jassy Singh and Leroy Gomes and multiple Uganda Rally champion Ronald Ssebaguzi. Also in the mix is the legendary 1994 WRC Safari Rally winner Ian Duncan, 2 times winner Baldev Chager and 3 times Nakuru Rally winner Onkar Rai.
After the flag off at Kasarani, drivers will head to Sopa lodge for overnight perc- Ferme before embarking on Saturday's action in Soysambu and Kedon'g on Sunday ahead of the Prize giving ceremony at 4:30 pm on Sunday at Sopa Lodge.
- Revealed: Reason why Paul Pogba was missing from Man Utd's first day back for pre-season trainingFootball 1 month ago
- OFFICIAL: PSG sign former Man United starFootball 1 month ago
- Life and times of Joe Kadenge [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Solskjaer sends powerful message to Pogba on leaving Man United Football 1 month ago
- How Morocco sank Ivory Coast again at AFCONFootball 1 month ago
- Man City unveil new kits for 2019/20 season inspired by historic nightclubPremier League 1 month ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 1 month ago