School games: Kwanthanze, Syumile seek to extend reign
Champions Kwanthanze will have everything to play for as this year’s Eastern Region secondary schools Term Two games begin tomorrow at Makueni Boys.
Kwanthanze, from Machakos County, will have to be at their best to avoid heartbreak as they seek to defend their national and East Africa crowns.
With many of last year’s champions having fallen along the way, there will be no room for error lest they be punished by their compatriots, who are yearning to test glory.
Team coach Justine Kigwari said he will field a relatively new side but remained confident they will get better with every match.
“Some of my girls are competing for the first time but I believe they will get better with every match because they are eager to learn, improve and emulate their predecessors’ success,” said Kigwari.
They launch their campaign in group B against Chogoria from Tharaka Nithi, Siakago (Embu) and Dakabaricha from Marsabit.
Kirigara from Meru and Kitui’s Gakanga highlight Group C that also has Isiolo Girls and Makueni champions Kambi Mawe.
Thigingi (Embu), Logologo (Marsabit), Ngondi (Tharaka Nithi) and Vyulwa from Machakos are in group A while Kitui winners Kyatune, St Mary’s from Isiolo, Nduluni from Makueni and Maraa Girls from Meru are in group D.
In netball, defending champions Syumile Mixed will be out to secure their third straight appearance at the national games.
The Makueni County champions, who have shown steady improvement since making their national debut in 2017, will have to overcome Embu’s Mariari, Nduundune from Kitui and Isiolo Barracks in Group D to advance to the knockout stage.
Former regional champions Kirigara take on Chogoria and Kaluluni from Machakos in group A.
- Revealed: What Lampard demanded from Chelsea in contract talksFootball 2 weeks ago
- AFCON: Madagascar make history, edge DR Congo on penaltiesFootball 2 weeks ago
- England Rugby League star donates brain to scienceRugby 2 weeks ago
- Harambee Stars Vs Senegal: We can do it – MigneFootball 3 weeks ago
- Furious Messi blasts Copa America officials after loss to BrazilFootball 2 weeks ago
- ‘We don’t fear the Lions’ declare Uganda ahead of clashFootball 2 weeks ago
- What went wrong with Harambee Stars in Egypt?Football 2 weeks ago