WRC: Hyundai’s Sordo emerges winner in dramatic Rally of Italy
Spaniard Dani Sordo won the Rally of Italy in Sardinia for Hyundai on Sunday after Toyota’s overnight leader Ott Tanak suffered a steering problem on the final stage and slumped to fifth.
Tanak, who still took over the championship lead from Citroen’s Sebastien Ogier, had been 26.7 seconds clear and heading for his third win in a row going into the final Sassari-Argentiera 2 power stage.
The Estonian, who won all six stages on Saturday’s second leg, then spun and lost two minutes in the late drama.
Finland’s Teemu Suninen finished second for M-Sport Ford, 13.7 seconds behind, with Norwegian Andreas Mikkelsen third for Hyundai and claiming five bonus points from the power stage.
- Revealed: Reason why Paul Pogba was missing from Man Utd's first day back for pre-season trainingFootball 3 weeks ago
- Women’s World Cup: Social media uproar after ‘Tea-sipping’ goal celebrationFootball 2 weeks ago
- Everton legends call to Sharks ahead of friendlyFootball 2 weeks ago
- Shark-attack: Kariobangi Sharks drown EPL’s EvertonFootball 2 weeks ago
- Rice terraces and 'turtle shell' scrums: Barefoot rugby in VietnamRugby 3 weeks ago
- Michael Olunga: Senegal are also humanFootball 3 weeks ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 2 weeks ago