WRC: Hyundai’s Sordo emerges winner in dramatic Rally of Italy
Spaniard Dani Sordo won the Rally of Italy in Sardinia for Hyundai on Sunday after Toyota’s overnight leader Ott Tanak suffered a steering problem on the final stage and slumped to fifth.
Tanak, who still took over the championship lead from Citroen’s Sebastien Ogier, had been 26.7 seconds clear and heading for his third win in a row going into the final Sassari-Argentiera 2 power stage.
The Estonian, who won all six stages on Saturday’s second leg, then spun and lost two minutes in the late drama.
Finland’s Teemu Suninen finished second for M-Sport Ford, 13.7 seconds behind, with Norwegian Andreas Mikkelsen third for Hyundai and claiming five bonus points from the power stage.
- I lost the match because I did not receive any assistance from the government - Zarika Boxing 2 days ago
- Jose Mourinho linked with shock move to TottenhamFootball 2 days ago
- Harambee starlets 2-0 Ethiopia: Starlets get Cecafa campaign off to winning start Football 2 days ago
- Verstappen wins crazy race as both Ferraris crash outSports 2 days ago
- Yellow card turns to six-month ban for South AfricanFootball 2 days ago
- Volleyball: KCB seek to end long league title droughtVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Stars look to avenge 2012 defeat to Togo at Kasarani tonightFootball 2 days ago