Ushirika road race to help raise Sh50m
Inaugural Ushirika road race, which will help enhance and promote basic education in the country, was launched yesterday in Nairobi and targets raise Sh50 million.
The race, which is sponsored by Cooperative Alliance of Kenya (CAK), will be held on June 30 at Uhuru Park and will now be an annual event according to the organisers.
“The purpose of the race is to aggregate our cooperative basic education project, an ongoing project in the cooperatives societies in the country support learners to get education,” said CAK chief executive officer, Steve Otieno.
“We have been supporting learners throughout the country and we want to enhance the funds drive by initiating athletics for learners and also give upcoming runners a chance to improve on their talent,” added Otieno.
“The road race is a new concept in the cooperative movement and eventually, the event will be rolled out to other counties. That’s why we urge more participants to take part in the event.”
Athletics Kenya Nairobi region chairman Barnaba Korir assured the organisers of support from the national governing body, Athletics Kenya.
The race will have four categories; 10km for the elite runners, 7km for regulars, 5km for CEOs and 2km for kids.
Registration for 10km elite runners will be Sh1,000 while other categories will be Sh500.
- Boxer Patrick Day dies after being knocked outBoxing 2 days ago
- Italian football giant AS Roma launches Swahili Twitter account Football 2 days ago
- Third straight Golden Shoe for MessiFootball 2 days ago
- Sadio Mane: This is why I quarreled with Salah during Liverpool’s win over Burnley in August Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal Star impressed by Rwandan Kids Football 2 days ago
- Ex-Juventus boss opens up about reports he’s the first-choice to replace Ole Gunnar should he be sackedFootball 2 days ago
- When lines, pacesetters make all the difference in golfGolf 2 days ago