Ushirika road race to help raise Sh50m
Inaugural Ushirika road race, which will help enhance and promote basic education in the country, was launched yesterday in Nairobi and targets raise Sh50 million.
The race, which is sponsored by Cooperative Alliance of Kenya (CAK), will be held on June 30 at Uhuru Park and will now be an annual event according to the organisers.
“The purpose of the race is to aggregate our cooperative basic education project, an ongoing project in the cooperatives societies in the country support learners to get education,” said CAK chief executive officer, Steve Otieno.
“We have been supporting learners throughout the country and we want to enhance the funds drive by initiating athletics for learners and also give upcoming runners a chance to improve on their talent,” added Otieno.
“The road race is a new concept in the cooperative movement and eventually, the event will be rolled out to other counties. That’s why we urge more participants to take part in the event.”
Athletics Kenya Nairobi region chairman Barnaba Korir assured the organisers of support from the national governing body, Athletics Kenya.
The race will have four categories; 10km for the elite runners, 7km for regulars, 5km for CEOs and 2km for kids.
Registration for 10km elite runners will be Sh1,000 while other categories will be Sh500.
- Find out how Unai Emery helped bitter rivals Tottenham Hotspur reach Champions League finalFootball 1 month ago
- Schools: St. Joseph dethrones Kisumu Day to win soccer giants titleFootball 2 months ago
- Female referee suffers sexist attack as teenage footballer shows privates to herFootball 2 weeks ago
- English Premier League Fixtures for next season are out- View full listFootball 3 days ago
- Ajax squad cost: How does Europe’s surprise package rank amongst the giants?Football 1 month ago
- Kenya Rules London: Eliud Kipchoge wins 2019 marathon in styleAthletics 1 month ago
- How Griezmann could end up being a Man United playerFootball 3 weeks ago