Ushirika road race to help raise Sh50m
Inaugural Ushirika road race, which will help enhance and promote basic education in the country, was launched yesterday in Nairobi and targets raise Sh50 million.
The race, which is sponsored by Cooperative Alliance of Kenya (CAK), will be held on June 30 at Uhuru Park and will now be an annual event according to the organisers.
“The purpose of the race is to aggregate our cooperative basic education project, an ongoing project in the cooperatives societies in the country support learners to get education,” said CAK chief executive officer, Steve Otieno.
“We have been supporting learners throughout the country and we want to enhance the funds drive by initiating athletics for learners and also give upcoming runners a chance to improve on their talent,” added Otieno.
“The road race is a new concept in the cooperative movement and eventually, the event will be rolled out to other counties. That’s why we urge more participants to take part in the event.”
Athletics Kenya Nairobi region chairman Barnaba Korir assured the organisers of support from the national governing body, Athletics Kenya.
The race will have four categories; 10km for the elite runners, 7km for regulars, 5km for CEOs and 2km for kids.
Registration for 10km elite runners will be Sh1,000 while other categories will be Sh500.
- JESUS WEPT! Brazil superstar punches VAR before breaking down in tearsFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Ighalo seeks to burst South African bubbleFootball 1 month ago
- Moussa Dembele makes Man Utd transfer decision amid Liverpool and Arsenal interestFootball 1 month ago
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea fans react after Lampard’s appointment as managerFootball 1 month ago
- Messi fumes at Copa America Football 1 month ago