TRANSFER: Liverpool told to sell Divock Origi this summer for controversial reason
Former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol says the Reds should sell Champions League hero Divock Origi because he "doesn't make the squad better".
Origi made only cameo appearances for Liverpool last season, but made some incredibly important contributions.
Against Everton the Belgian netted an all-important winner in stoppage time in the Merseyside derby, and bagged a brace in Liverpool's sensational Champions League comeback against Barcelona.
Origi was also on target in the European final, scoring the Reds' second against Tottenham to ensure the trophy was returning home to Liverpool.
The forward is very much in the good books of every Reds supporter on the planet right now, but Nicol reckons he should be moved on.
Speaking on ESPN, Nicol said: "For Liverpool's sake, they should get rid of him, let him go, depends on how harsh or nicely you want to put it.
"He has to go for his sake but for Liverpool's sake, they've got themselves into a place now where they need to think 'how do we take the next step?'
"And for me taking the next step is making the squad better and bigger. I don't feel that Divock Origi makes our squad better.
"Whenever he has played, whenever he has come on, generally for Firmino to give him a break, the level has dropped too far in my opinion. That's why ultimately they have to get rid of him.
"Now, he's going to be remembered forever and a day, not only for the Champions League goal in the final, but obviously for the one against Barcelona and against Everton.
"So he will be remembered but unfortunately, as a player, he's just not good enough to be playing at the level Liverpool need to be every time they step on the field."
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 2 weeks ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 2 weeks ago
- Shock as Messi faces two year banFootball 1 week ago
- Mercy Wanjiru stars at KDF showpieceAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: Reason why Paul Pogba was missing from Man Utd's first day back for pre-season trainingFootball 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: Why Chelsea delayed announcing Frank Lampard's return to Stamford BridgeFootball 2 weeks ago
- Drama as Mane scores, misses penalty as Senegal knock out UgandaFootball 2 weeks ago