Neymar out of Copa America 2019 with ankle ligament injury
Neymar is out of Copa America 2019 with an ankle ligament injury.
The Brazil superstar suffered the injury in the warm-up match with Qatar and was reduced to tears as he made his way off the pitch.
Neymar appeared to twist his ankle in the 17th minute and was carried to the dressing room with his ankle wrapped in ice.
Brazil boss Tite suggested the injury was not a serious one but Neymar was pictured leaving the stadium wearing a protective boot.
But Brazil's worst fears have been confirmed ahead of the tournament with Neymar tearing ligaments in his ankle.
Brazil won the warm-up match against Qatar 2-0 thanks to goals from Richarlison and Gabriel Jesus
Neymar has had a nightmare season with injuries, having been out of action for three months with a foot problem before returning at the end of the campaign.
He was also ruled out of the latter stages of the World Cup in 2014 and injuries have now hampered his involvement in another competition.
The injury comes amid more speculation about his club future with Barcelona working on his return to the Nou Camp.
The Brazilian left Barca for PSG in 2017 but he is keen to return after growing frustrated with life in Paris.
But the French champions have no plans to let him go and will fend off any interest in the world's most expensive player.
Brazil will now look to draft in a replacement for Neymar, who lost his captaincy to Dani Alves ahead of the tournament.
Brazil get their campaign underway against Bolivia on Saturday, June 15 and also face Venezuela and Peru in the group stages.
- United charged by FA over players misconductPremier League 1 day ago
- AFC marksman’s secret behind shirt number 34 revealedFootball 1 day ago
- Venus Williams outclassed by 15-year-old ‘on a mission to be the greatest’Tennis 2 days ago
- Manchester United beaten 2-0 by LiverpoolFootball 2 days ago
- World Cup Qualifier draw results are out! Kenya drawn in Group E with Uganda, Mali and Rwanda Football 18 hours ago
- Cycling: Brookhouse clinch hog charge titleSports 2 days ago
- Six controversial moments that shaped Dennis Oliech’s careerFootball 2 days ago