Sevilla hire former Real Madrid manager Lopetegui as coach
Former Spain and Real Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui has been hired by LaLiga side Sevilla as their new coach.
Lopetegui, who had an ill-fated spell at Madrid replaces Joaquin Caparros.
Caparros guided Sevilla to a sixth-placed finish in LaLiga Santander following the sacking of Pablo Machin in March.
Real Madrid sacked Lopetegui in October 2018 after just 10 league matches, with the 13-time Champions League winners languishing in ninth place in the table.
Lopetegui, who was labelled a flop in February gave a frank revelation to BBC and opened up about two of the most difficult moments of his career.
“I didn't sleep; I didn't know where I was. One day I was in Russia training for the World Cup, the next I was in the Santiago Bernabeu with a new team.
“It was very fast, difficult to take in and the emotions were high. It was hard to be told to leave the World Cup. It was a dream that I hard-worked so hard for and with all this emotion. I am human, so sometimes you can't control it,” he told the BBC.
Lopetegui, however, revealed he held no grudges and wished Real Madrid Madrid the best in his absence.
"I have all respect for the new coach [Santiago Solari], his new staff. And the players - I love them, they had a fantastic attitude with me.
"I would never say a bad word about Real Madrid. To manage the club is a fantastic experience for any coach. I hoped I could have more time but I have to look to the future,” he said.
Santiago Solari signed a three-year contract in November 2018 to remain Real Madrid manager through the 2020-21 season but was axed after dismal performances to pave way for a returning Zinedine Zidane in March this year.
- Top footballer declared missing after swimming accidentFootball 3 weeks ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 2 weeks ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 2 weeks ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 1 month ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 3 weeks ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 3 weeks ago