Inter Milan hire former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte as coach
Inter Milan have announced the appointment of former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte as coach.
According to media reports, Conte has signed a three-year contract worth nine million euros ($10 million) plus bonuses.
He replaces embattled Luciano Spalletti who secured Inter's Champions League spot for a second consecutive year.
"A new chapter in my life is beginning, I'm really excited. Through my work, I'll try to repay all of the trust that the president [Steven Zhang] and directors have placed in me.
“I have chosen Inter because of the club it is, because of the project's sound basis and how ambitious it is. Because of Inter's history.
"I was struck by the club's transparency and the desire to bring Inter back to where it belongs,” Conte said in a statement.
Conte will reportedly receive a base salary of Sh1 billion for the first two seasons he is in charge.
A title winner in both Italy and England, returns to Serie A having won the competition three times as coach of Juventus. He left in 2014 to take charge of the national team.
Inter confirmed the departure of coach Spalletti on Thursday.
"Inter can confirm that Luciano Spalletti is no longer head coach of the first team. The club wishes to thank Spalletti for his work and the results achieved together,” a statement released by the club read.
Inter were erratic for much of the season and, although they scraped a fourth-place finish on the final day, a last-16 exit to Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League did little to help Spalletti's cause.
The Nerazzurri have also been troubled by off-field matters, predominantly revolving around star striker and Argentinian Mauro Icardi, whose relationship with Spalletti had deteriorated.
Speculation about Spalletti's future went into overdrive on Wednesday when Conte’s photo with Inter's media team surfaced on social media.
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 2 weeks ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 2 weeks ago
- Drama as Mane scores, misses penalty as Senegal knock out UgandaFootball 2 weeks ago
- Shock as Messi faces two year banFootball 1 week ago
- Mercy Wanjiru stars at KDF showpieceAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: Reason why Paul Pogba was missing from Man Utd's first day back for pre-season trainingFootball 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: Why Chelsea delayed announcing Frank Lampard's return to Stamford BridgeFootball 2 weeks ago