Ambani confident Wazito will bag promotion slot
Wazito put six goals past relegation-threatened Green Commandos to move to within nine points of attaining SportPesa Premier League promotion after one year in the National Super League.
The 2018-19 Super League leaders were relegated last season alongside Thika United but their recent goal haul of 17 goals in five matches has seen them top the standings with 69 points.
Wazito coach Fred Ambani has now expressed his confidence in the team's promotion chances saying they just have to win at least three or four of the remaining five matches to be assured of a return to topflight football.
Speaking to the Standard Sports yesterday, Ambani said he is happy with his team’s performance so far and his aim is to win their next three fixtures against Thika United, Administration Police and Nairobi Stima.
“If we win our next three, we will be safer for we would have also stopped our fellow competitors (Stima). Despite that, the team should be aware of Kisumu’s threat since they are just a point away,” said Ambani.
“Our objective is to secure automatic qualification and avoid the playoffs which are always tricky," added Ambani.
Kisumu All Stars head coach Frank Oduor is also upbeat of making promotion for the first time in the club's history after steering his side back to winning ways with a narrow 1-0 win over Coast Stima.
“We defended and played well and I am happy we are back to winning ways despite the low score. We now have to maintain the tempo when we face Modern Coast Rangers tomorrow,” he said.
The Blue Eagles are second with 68 points, one point more than third-placed Nairobi Stima who had to edge out Kangemi All Stars 3-2 to keep pace with the top two teams.
In the relegation battle, six teams will also have to fight to the end of the league with Nairobi City Stars, Thika United, Kibera and Migori separated by only two points.
Green Commandos and Kangemi are further down and look set to be relegated.
Wazito face Thika United tomorrow as the race for premier league promotion continue to heat up. Kisumu will travel to play Modern Coast in Mombasa as Stima play Migori Youth in Awendo.
- EPL preview: Liverpool face hurdle as they host ChelseaPremier League 2 months ago
- AFCON: Gonzalez among six arrivals as Harambee Stars camp in France swellsFootball 2 weeks ago
- FIFA to run African football ahead of AFCONFootball 5 hours ago
- ‘Being rejected by foster family as a teenager fuelled my success’ – De BruyneFootball 2 months ago
- Kenyan 800m runner Wambui slams Semenya testosterone rulingAthletics 1 month ago
- Chelsea star signs new two-year deal at Stamford BridgeFootball 1 month ago
- Toure and Sterling blast Juventus over Kean abuseFootball 2 months ago