Rugby: Kabras coach says they need to boost squad
Kabras Sugar RFC head coach Henley Du Plessis said they must sign new players for them to be able to break champions KCB RFC’s dominance in the Kenya Cup.
Kabras failed to beat KCB for the 11th time yesterday, losing 23-15 in front of their home fans, thus failing to win in their third consecutive Kenya Cup final.
Speaking to The Standard Sports yesterday, Du Plessis said they have to match KCB’s bench power.
“During the regular season, KCB brought in Griffin Musila and Michael Wanjala in the second half and they won the match. In the final again, the substitutes proved vital as they overturned our lead to win the cup. We need players who can change the match for us,” he said.
The former Boland Cavaliers forwards coach said they need two or three good players in each position next season.
The sugar millers missed the services of scrum half Brian Tanga, Logan Basson and lock Andrew Chogo.
“The squad we have are champions. They played for the team with passion and confidence. However, we need other good players who can replace the best we have, in case of injuries,” Du Plessis said.
“Today we missed Tanga through illness and even though Barry Robinson was good, we lacked someone who could change the game for us in that position. But I think we need reinforcement among the forwards and back row, we will see as time goes.”
Kabras have an opportunity to redeem themselves by winning the 2019 Enterprise Cup final and Du Plessis said the team needs to minimise their mistakes and better their defence if they are to win a major silverware this season
“We gave away many penalties in our own half in the final and KCB capitalised on that. We were not disciplined enough and that has to stop ahead of the Enterprise final. I know we are hurting, but need to win this final,” said the coach.
- Premier League club sack managerPremier League 1 month ago
- Former Real Madrid manager lands new jobFootball 2 weeks ago
- Quins face KCB test in Kenya Cup semi-finalsRugby 1 month ago
- How Ajax stunned Ronaldo's Juventus Football 2 months ago
- Kenyan runner Wambui fears testosterone rules will end careerAthletics 1 month ago
- Daniel James transfer: Man Utd close on £15m Swansea star as Jadon Sancho alternativeFootball 1 month ago
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to axe eight Man United starsFootball 2 months ago