Wazito silence Fortune Sacco to reclaim top spot
Wazito powered back to the top of the National Super League, taking a significant step towards attaining Premier League promotion after edging Fortune Sacco 2-0 over the weekend.
Victor Ndinya and Derrick Onyango's strikes secured victory for Fred Ambani’s side, a result that saw the Nairobi-based side leapfrog Kisumu All Stars to pole position.
Wazito now lead the standings with 66 points, one more than All Stars, who drew 0-0 against fourth-placed Ushuru. Nairobi Stima are third with 64 points.
Ambani’s charges will, therefore, be practically assured of winning the title and qualifying for the 2019-20 SportPesa Premier League if they win their six remaining games.
Speaking to the Standard Sports yesterday, Ambani said he is happy with his team’s performance so far and his aim is to maintain the winning streak.
“The league is tight as we have three teams close to each other and it has now reached a time when we have to maintain winning to the end of the season. We are going to try and win our remaining matches,” Ambani said.
Kisumu All Stars head coach Frank Oduor is still confident his charges can finish on top of the standings despite their recent slump in form.
“We have not scored in the past three matches where we lost six significant points that would have given us advantage in the race for premier league promotion. We have to start winning matches again if we are to make it,” the former AFC Leopards player said.
At Karuturi grounds, Kenya Police continued with their fine run of form this season when they thrashed Shabana 4-3 in a seven-goal thriller.
Alvin Mang’eni’s brace coupled with a goal apiece by David Okiki and David Oluoch proved vital against Shabana’s John Musyoka, Anthony Ndolo, and Dennis Zakaria strikes.
The win saw Police remain fifth with 59 points, one shy of fourth-placed Ushuru.
Green Commandos pulled a 1-0 upset over Kibera Black Stars at the Hope Center Grounds while Administration Police beat Kangemi All-Stars on a similar scoreline at the Thika Stadium.
Meanwhile, Migori Youth continued with their surge of avoiding relegation by beating Thika United 2-0 in Awendo and moved into 28 points same as Kibera Black Stars and Nairobi City Stars.
- Former Chelsea manager makes new Cristiano Ronaldo declarationFootball 5 days ago
- Iten to host relays national trialsAthletics 2 months ago
- Liverpool set new record after tense win against Cardiff Football 2 months ago
- Manchester United fans call for Solskjaer’s sackingFootball 1 month ago
- Africa hopes stars can shine in Egypt after officials cause shameFootball 1 week ago
- Chelsea star charged with drunk driving after ‘nasty crash’ in ManchesterFootball 2 months ago
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has spoken about reports linking him with JuventusFootball 3 weeks ago