Premier League club sack manager
Brighton have sacked manager Chris Hughton after a dismal end to the season.
The Seagulls survived the Premier League drop despite a collapse that saw them fail to win any of their last nine games.
Hughton, 60, saw his side beaten 4-1 at home by Manchester City on Sunday as Pep Guardiola's men clinched the title.
Chairman Tony Bloom said: “Chris has done an excellent job over the past four and a half years. First stabilising our club, reaching the play-offs in his first full season, securing our first ever promotion to the Premier League, and retaining our status in two successive seasons.
“Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season.
“Our run of 3 wins from 23 Premier League matches put our status at significant risk. It is with that in mind, and the performances during that period, that I now feel it’s the right time for a change.
“Chris will always be very fondly remembered by Albion staff and fans as one of our club’s finest and most-respected managers.
“I would like to wish Chris, Paul and Paul – who have all worked extremely hard throughout their time here – every success for the future, and thank them on behalf of everyone at the club.
“They will always be welcome at the Amex, and will be remembered here with great affection.”
Hughton replaced Sami Hyypia at the Amex Stadium in December 2014, with Brighton just above the Sky Bet Championship relegation zone.
After defeat in the play-off semi-finals in 2016, Hughton led Albion to promotion the following season with a second-placed finish.
He also guided the club to only their second FA Cup semi-final earlier this season.
- Boxing news: Mike Tyson's response when asked if he would beat Anthony JoshuaBoxing 1 month ago
- Qatar officials say 48-team World Cup will not be 'imposed'Football 1 month ago
- 'SHE’S A MAN': Shock in Eldoret after ‘female’ athlete is exposed [Photos]Athletics 5 days ago
- Real Madrid confirm signing of star striker Football 2 weeks ago
- Nigeria wary of Africa Cup debutants Football 4 days ago
- Solskjaer: Man City are better than Man UnitedFootball 2 months ago
- Huge crowds electrify Eldoret City 42km raceAthletics 2 months ago