Kariobangi Sharks beat KCB to set up an explosive Shield final with Bandari
Kariobangi Sharks are on course of defending the SportPesa Shield after narrowly beating a resilient KCB 1-0 in a thrilling second semifinal at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos today.
Bolton Omwenga's own goal is all that his side needed to reach their third consecutive final, setting up a repeat of the SportPesa Cup final against Bandari in Dar es Saalam where Sharks prevailed by a solitary goal.
The dockers had humiliated lower tier side SS Assad 6-1 in an earlier match at the same venue.
The winners of the domestic cup final slated for June 1 at Kasarani Stadium will earn a ticket to represent the country in next season's CAF Confederation Cup as well as pocket Sh 2M in prize money.
Both teams started the match cautiously but it's Sharks who nearly took the lead in the 37th minute after KCB captain Michael Kibwage nearly conceded an own goal while trying to clear a cross from the right flank.
Duke Abuya then saw his free-kick go painfully over the bar before James Mazembe's shot at the edge of the box went wide.
Three minutes later Kevintom Machika missed a free header before he was denied by the goalkeeper Joseph Okoth on a one on one situation.
But after an end to end first half, the champions finally got a breakthrough when Omwenga unluckily scored into his own net while trying to clear Boniface Onyango's free kick.
Vincent Wasambo nearly doubled the lead two minutes later but he miscued Mazembe's perfectly weighted cross in the box.
Benson Amianga could have restored parity in the 65th minute but indecision cost him, allowing a defender to dispossess him.
Sharks responded immediately with Wasambo forcing a fine save from the keeper.
Sportpesa Shield semis results
Bandari 6-1 SS Assad
Kariobangi Sharks 1-0 KCB
Kariobangi Sharks v Bandari-Kasarani (June 1)
- Harambee Stars: Ready for mother of all battlesFootball 2 weeks ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 week ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 week ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 2 weeks ago
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 2 weeks ago